What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD in recovery mode is not recognized

Tweasy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear iPad forum users,

I bough an iPad a few month's ago back at Portugal. I plugged it a XP machine running the latest version (at that time) and I sync'd it.

Everything was fine, I came to Angola, where I am right now, and I decided that I wanted to transfer some stuff through the computer. That's when the problems started.

The computer didn't recognize the device, didn't even hear that little noise when you plug a device. I restored the iPad to factory settings and tried again, and again to no avail.

After reading a long list of posts and solutions, trying them and getting nowhere near fixing this I resigned and came here for help, I hope someone can help me fix the problem.

Details that may help to fix my problem:
Computer: Toshiba A300-18A, Windows 7 x64;
Device Manager: indicating 1 unrecognized Mass Storage Controler (code 28);
Other points: I have an iPod that syncs perfectly; I'm using the latest iTunes version; I'm not using antivirus, windows firewall; I tried plugging it in safe mode to no avail; I installed iTunes on 2 macs and on both the same problem happened; I also installed iTunes on another 2 laptops (x2 vista) and the same problem again happened; I also installed iTunes on a desktop (XP) and it recognized something but afterwards the same problem happened; the iPad is as new.

I'll be checking the post tomorrow morning hoping someone has something I can try to fix this problem.

Best regards,
André

DavidR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure how to fix this but you can always take it to the Apple store and see what they say. If they can't fix it then they'll probably just give you a new one on the spot as it'll still be under warranty if you bought it a few months ago.

Mountaingamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would throw the iPad into dfu mode and see if iTunes recognizes it in dfu mode - if not - back to Apple.

Stephen777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my iPod touch a few months back. Try these steps to fix your iPad.

1. Put your iPad not DFU mode.
2. Find and download the newest software for it online. (4.3)
3. Go to iTunes and recover your iPad with this software.

OP
T

Tweasy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Thanks for the tips. I had already tried the method described, I just didn't know it was called DFU.

If I'm not mistaken, DFU mode is when you: Hold sleep + home for 10 seconds and release sleep but continue with home for 3-5 sec and then release it. Then appears a white apple logo and should pop-up on iTunes the recovery mode-iPad.

I did what you guys told me to and I got the same result, nothing appeared in iTunes.

Any other suggestion other than switching it? I still have until day 12 when my mother goes to Portugal and then she can switch the iPad if I can't fix it my self. If anyone has an idea please say something!

Thanks again for the replies and the help guys,
Best regards,
André

EDIT: I now tried putting it into DFU mode with my brother's mac and it didn't work. Also, I read, on another website, that I should hold the button down until it recognizes (when going into DFU mode), well I tried that also with no success.

One curious thing that happened afterwards was, when I plugged it into my computer the white logo appeared and it is staying on that connect to iTunes indefinitely, without the screen going black, the iPad froze.

But still the same response as always w/ the computer, nothing happened.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tweasy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, since no one else replies I'm guessing there is no real solution for this problem.
I will return the device and hope they will give me another one/ or maybe I can add some more € and buy iPad2, that would be nicer imho.

If there is anyone out there w/ the same problem I have please go and return the device, don't waste more time.

Most reactions

Latest posts