What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad in Europe

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We're going to six countries in Europe and is there any problem with me using my iPad? There is free wifi on our river cruise. I suppose I could put it into airplane mode and then activate wifi separately but is there any problem is I have my data turned on?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have a U.S. 3G data plan, then go into Settings > Cellular Data, and turn Data Roaming off. Or just turn off Cellular Data all together (when you get to Europe). This will prevent your iPad from accruing roaming charges, which can add up very quickly.

If you want 3G service in Europe, look into buying a SIM locally. It will be much cheaper. Only the AT&T iPad 1 & 2, or the new iPad will work with 3G in Europe. The earlier Verizon models are not compatible. They don't' even have SIM slots.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Turn data roaming off, or you will be hit with some VERY expensive charges. You will likely need a pay as you go plan for each country you plan to visit, unless you are prepared to rely on wifi. Luckily, Europe is well served with hotspots.

Most reactions

Latest posts