What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using the GPS Function.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Questions About The GPS Function.

On my installed car GPS I have DVD in the trunk of all the mapping of the USA.

On my hand held I have to insert mini flash cards of different sections and states.

My questions are these.

1. On my 3G iPad are the state maps installed or do I have to buy different state map programs.

2. On 3G, iPads sold in different countries Europe, Australia, and Asia are the maps pre-loaded into the device when manufactured for the specific country.

The reason I’m asking these questions is because I travel a lot on River Cruises in Europe and also on large cruise ships and it would be nice to have the iPad with the GPS instead of carrying paper maps. I have viewed many rivers in Europe from my armchair using Goggle World but having the GPS would be so much better and more functional.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Al

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
the ipad comes with no installed maps.

it does have the google maps app and it gets those maps live over the internet. As long as you have internet connection the google maps app will work.

If you want to have the maps stored on the ipad itself you need to buy a third party GPS app like navigon for turn by turn directions or Motion X GPS HD.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I Use GPS HD by MotionX

I have used this app to explore the lower peninsula of Michigan, northern Indiana and into ne Illinois (Chicago). It does not work like a wholly dedicated gps machine but it does give you pretty detailed maps. I scrolled over to Europe and got pretty good detail, all the way down to buildings in San Gallen, Schweiz. I did not have to download any additional maps.

I cannot tell you how recent these maps are but it seems newer than google earth--which I also have on my Ipad. When I'm in google earth, the trees in my yard are a lot smaller than in the gps application.

In my experience with this iPad, it does seem to be all about the aps.

OP
A

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your answers Matt and Mike. I bought the navigation app but I have no idea if its any good in Germany or Norway, and thats the apps I'm more interested in. Will check into MotionX. In the past I have always bought my maps programs from Delorme but they have never made a map program for Europe,however their tech support said they could have one ready this fall. Too late now I have ipad.

Al.

OP
A

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just finished reading two pages of reviews of Motion X and all of them were highly praising the GPS App,however one person tested the the GPS feature on a four hour drive and it did eat up a lot of his MB,he measured it from zero until he finished his trip with no other programs running,he still rated it the best but stated that if you are on the unlimited its not a problem but if you are on the monhtly $15.00 dollar deal its costly,add the price of the app $3.00 plus the yearly fee of 25.00 and the usage factor it adds up fast. He also said make sure you buy the correct version of the Program,Motion X GPS Drive HD or Motion X GPS HD,they also have two for the Iphone.

Al

Last edited:

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use both the Tom Tom (USA/Canada) and iGo (Europe) apps, for the iPhone. They are a bit grainy when blown up to iPad size, but they work wonderfully and don't need a data connection.

They are both proper 3d turn-by-turn navigational systems and are updated fairly regularly but they are expensive, and the afforementioned graininess of using an iPhone app on the iPad.

fc6da193.png

Last edited:
OP
A

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just downloaded the Motion X GPS HD, I didn't need the Motion X drive since I have the the Garmin in my car,but for overseas use and nautical this is the one that sticks out for me. I cant wait to play with my new toy when I get on-board.

Al.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Al, since this iPad is still new to you, I think you had better take an iPad consultant with you on your next European river cruise... at your expense of course!

So if you are looking for volunteers....

OP
A

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well if you carry the bags that might not be too bad,my wife carries every thing but the kitchen sink,although she is getting better with each trip.

Al

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Just finished reading two pages of reviews of Motion X and all of them were highly praising the GPS App,however one person tested the the GPS feature on a four hour drive and it did eat up a lot of his MB,he measured it from zero until he finished his trip with no other programs running,he still rated it the best but stated that if you are on the unlimited its not a problem but if you are on the monhtly $15.00 dollar deal its costly,add the price of the app $3.00 plus the yearly fee of 25.00 and the usage factor it adds up fast. He also said make sure you buy the correct version of the Program,Motion X GPS Drive HD or Motion X GPS HD,they also have two for the Iphone.

Al

The good thing is that Motion X lets you use both online maps and gives you the option to download what ever maps you want and store them on the device. The more detailed and amount of maps you download take up more space. They do this by zoom level, the more you can zoom in on the maps the bigger file size it is. you pick the levels before the download.

OP
A

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased it Mike and I also downloaded the PDF user Guide so I have my studying to do, I have always been a map freak or a navigating chart nut.

Al.

Most reactions

Latest posts