iPad for Students

Discussion in 'iPad Reviews' started by Superbike81, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaac Newton

Isaac Newton
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The deeper the fixture within the academic community...the greater the level of day capture, productivity and Bluetooth/wifi print options that will frequently be developed and upgraded.

2. AbblePC

AbblePC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Sound Paper is great for both recording a seission and taking typed notes that integrate along with that recording, so that afterwards you can simply click any typed content and the audio playback jumps right to that point in your notes.

I've used it a few times and it worked flawlessly. It doesn't support hand written notes but perhaps it will be an update later.

3. stever

stever
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Is that name right?
    It sounds great, but can't find one by that name.

There is an iPhone App named Notes Pro.
    (which could be OK. I run a couple iPhone apps.)

There is an expensive 'Notes Pro for Lotus Notes'.
    Sundry Notes has just the word notes on its icon.

I am curious now. . . Let us know.

4. Superbike81

Superbike81
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I was confused as well. It was called NotesPro, but then I downloaded an update for it that renamed it to "Sundry Notes"

Sorry about the confusion, they must have decided on a name change for some reason.

5. stever

stever
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    You are right. I had already downloaded that one, before the namechange.
    (I didn't remember the original name. Could be the iPhone app caused the name change.)
    I have still not spent much time on it, so many apps, so little time.

But those features, like adding graphics, and adding logic/math symbols as you type, look good.

By the way, I just saw they dropped Cramberry to Free in the AppStore today.
    May be temporary.

Does your school use BlackBoard for its courses?
    There are a couple good apps for that,
    although the server admins have to enable a couple of things for the students to be able to access it.

6. Superbike81

Superbike81
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    No, the online portion of the school doesn't use Blackboard, they use a system called WebTycho. Haven't done much with it yet except view some grades and a syllabus, but I'll have to make some online postings in the next couple weeks, I'll report back.

7. ayerbusiness

ayerbusiness
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    An iPad is really helpful for students. I have a son who is now studying and he keeps on borrowing my iPad to do his research. I am now planning to buy a new one for him.

8. 4phun

4phun
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    smartNote human palm rejection for clean drawing/text

I have been posting a few notes about a new app called smartNote for the iPad. It is still a work in progress by a couple of talented college students but they have nailed it with smartNote.

This is not an iPhone app. There are a couple of iPhone apps with a similar name but this is an iPad only application.

One fantastic feature they just introduced deals with the problem of how do you avoid making unnecessary marks on the iPad page from your palm while using a stylus.

SmartNote for iPad is an app that lets you create a quasi palm rejection area on your iPad screen, that allows you to rest your palm on the screen when you are Inking with a stylus.

Their solution looks like it solves the problem. Essentially you define a rectangle on the screen that you can lay your hand on. This area moves and floats around the screen with your hand therefore no Ink is transferred to the screen in that area.

You define that area in the smartNote Tools Menu.

YouTube - mysmartnote's Channel:)

The very last video, one of the crappy ones shot with a college students camcorder, explains palm rejection.

9. Arnz98

Arnz98
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    If you need to handwrite notes the best i have found is note taker hd. Go watch a clip on youtube if you want to see how it works. Much more useful than Penultimate in my opinion.

10. leeaustralia

leeaustralia
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    'pages'

I am so disappointed to learn that 'pages' is not really suitable for writing academic essays in their completion (including footnotes etc)

Does any one know if there is another app available now that is a replacement for 'pages' - that includes footnotes/ endnotes formatting and word count?

If not how long do you think we will have to wait for apple to address some of 'pages' shortcomings?

any thoughts or advice?:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.