iPad for College

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by krlosv_gd, Aug 21, 2011.

1. krlosv_gd

krlosv_gd
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I am a college student, I bought an ipad in order to take all of my notes virtually and save them on an external harddrive, I need a note taking app, I know this thread is below mine, but I would really like a strong recommendation. I start classes tomorrow, basically I'll need an app for reminding me my homeworks, assignments, exams and project due dates, and a different app for note taking, I tried the free SmartNote and really liked it, but handwriting part just sucks, I really liked the fact that it can be organized neatly and that it has music sheets (I am studying music).

I don't care about being able to record, but that would be a nice plus. Any recommendation? Please its an emergency

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Hello and welcome to the forum - :)

Concerning an app for 'note taking', there will be plenty of recommendations coming I suspect - all seem to have their preference(s); if you might want compatibility w/ Word *.doc files, then Pages might be a consideration - $10 purchase in the Apple App store.

Also, if you need to take notes quickly and if you are also a good typist, then a BT (Bluetooth) keyboard would be another consideration - there are plenty of options; I have the Apple KB but others are more portable and some are incorporated into an iPad case.

Others will likely 'chime in' - good luck in school and in your choice(s).

3. emm

emm
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I like SoundNote and Noterize.

4. Gding

Gding
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    First post here. Awesome forum and app.

I'm in the same boat as you. I did a little research and I found a few good ones. For the life of me I can't find the link to a video review that helped me, but I ended up going with Office2 HD. There are some other ones (Document to Go, iWork Suite, and others already listed here were the main ones I looked at). They're all pretty similar but I ended up with Office2 HD because I liked the layout better, it includes .doc, .xls, and .ppt for viewing and editing purposes. It was also one of the cheaper ones in comparison. $9 I think. Oh, almost forgot, Office2 HD syncs with a lot of cloud services including dropbox, which I recommend too (free.99).

You can also view .pdf files but can't edit. To store my .pdf files I use fileapp (I also have a lot of music files). There's a paid version but the free one has done everything I needed it to do so far. Also fileapp stores .mov files from emails for me.

All in all, here's my picks: Office2 HD, fileapp, and dropbox. ($9 total)

I also agree with the other post that your going to need a Bluetooth keyboard. Typing is just too slow otherwise. I bought the HippiH iEagle foldable keyboard. It's small, you don't have to be tied to a keyboard/case, and foldable. The downsides are that I've only seen it on apple's website, it's not in the two stores close to me and it's $100.

Hope this helped.

5. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Look at Notes Plus - which allows handwriting, drawing/sketching, typed input and audio recording too.

There's a great of the app in action at the Developer's website.

Tim

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Not from personal experience, but others have said that iStudiez is a great way to keep track of your class, etc. If you campus supports it, that is.

7. Gding

Gding
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Actually, I sexing istudiez. I have been trying it for a little bit and it's pretty good at keeping a schedule laid out for you. Get the free one to try it out.

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    LOL - ;):D - assuming the above in bold was a typo - :)

9. Gding

Gding
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    No. No. I meant what I said. Haha.

I'm not even sure how it got that, but it read my mind.

10. LawPad2

LawPad2
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Sound note with the space? Or soundnote? There are two.

sent from my pimped out iPad 2