What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad crashinkg

matt5968

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad was working fine with joss 5.01 but recently it started closing apps randomly. Can anyone please please help. Thanks

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's generally a lack of memory issue. Do a four finger swipe up (or down, I can't remember which) to open the the task bar. Touch and hold any app untill the little minus signs appear in the top left corner of the app icons. Now touch the minus signs to remove the apps from the RAM area. When done, do the opposite four finger swipe to go back to the home screen. You should now be good to go.

The Archangel

aBlondeMoment

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm curious about this too. I am experiencing the same issue as the first poster. I have tried the closing out apps fix suggested above & it doesn't do much good. It starts back shutting down programs within about 20 20 more mins. I have also tried turning the iPad off & on again & the soft reset. All with no luck. It's not a huge thing, but it can get VERY frustrating at times.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
aBlondeMoment said:
I'm curious about this too. I am experiencing the same issue as the first poster. I have tried the closing out apps fix suggested above & it doesn't do much good. It starts back shutting down programs within about 20 20 more mins. I have also tried turning the iPad off & on again & the soft reset. All with no luck. It's not a huge thing, but it can get VERY frustrating at times.

If none of that works it might be the time to try a full restore. You will need to ensure that you have done a full backup with iTunes then restore from the backup.

The Archangel

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
If none of that works it might be the time to try a full restore. You will need to ensure that you have done a full backup with iTunes then restore from the backup.

The Archangel

I've had the same issues as the OP mentions. I went the route of restoring my iPad and really netted little improvement but I figured it couldn't hurt. I've changed the way I use my iPad knowing its a memory issue. I regularly double tap the home button shutting down apps not being used, I also clear the cache and cookies in safari regularly.

I know this isn't ideal but it seems to help, to me, it's a hardware limitation with our 256k ram. I've already started to shop for the ipad 2, seems to be the only solution. It's a shame!

BTW, I was at the apple store the other day playing with an iPad 2, boy what a difference. The added memory and better processor really makes a difference. Im going to wait till the announcement of the iPad 3 and look at buying a refurb IPad 2 when prices come down.

Last edited:

muirboda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been having the same issue.

I have done everything that each poster has mentioned.

I can't even surf with safari. Many apps crash right away, some will run for a few minutes, then crash.

For me this issue started in September after I updated the iPad. Not sure what that update did but that is when the issue began and it steadily got worse. I have removed numerous apps and kept the few that I use the most.

Most reactions

Latest posts