What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad as iphone 4 monitor..

Farhan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,
My 1st post here, great forum btw..

I just ppicked up a wifi only iPad and realized after i had bought it that it does not have builtin gps chipset :(. Anyway i was wondering if there is a way to use my ipad as a monitor for my iphone 4? i know there are apps like "Air Display" available to use ipad as a monitor for PC/MAC but is it possible to somehow use ipad as a display for my iphone 4?? i dont mind using a cable if i have to.

Any suggestions??
BTW: both ip4 and ipad are jailbroken :D

Farhan

Cheers

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A very odd request...but believe it or not...yes.

Jailbreak your iPhone, install Veency.

Then install a VNC app (I prefer realvnc) and log into your iPhone. There won't be any way to get sound....and it will be low res....but you could do it if you are so inclined. Any particular reason you would want to do it tho?? Since the iPhone 4 is basically a mini iPad.

OP
F

Farhan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A very odd request...but believe it or not...yes.

Jailbreak your iPhone, install Veency.

Then install a VNC app (I prefer realvnc) and log into your iPhone. There won't be any way to get sound....and it will be low res....but you could do it if you are so inclined. Any particular reason you would want to do it tho?? Since the iPhone 4 is basically a mini iPad.

Hi There,
Thanks for your quick reply and input.
The reason i wanted to do this is the lack of gps chipset in iPad i was thinking if possible i'll run tomtom on my ip4 and display it on my ipad. i made a really nice diy car mount for my ipad (pics to follow) and i use my ipad as my car stereo (hooked up to my car sound system) and it would be nice to hear gps voice instructions in between my music.

It would also be nice to be able to use my ip4 data on ipad, i am currenty using Mi-Wi to get data on my ipad but it's a batt killer. wWth a solution to turn ipad into a disply for iphone 4 it would solve all my issues :)

Cheers

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you are going about it in a way that won't really work well--I can't see you being happy with the VNC approach. There is another way to solve your problem...

If you install BTstack GPS (Cydia app... $5) on your iPad you can use an external bluetooth GPS receiver with your iPad. If you don't already have one these can be had for around $40 on up. The maker of BTstack says they are working on a way to let it use iPhone for external GPS too. But right now will work with external GPS.

OK then if you install Navigon on the iPad (it will install and run) you have true GPS navigation on iPad. If you run MyWi on your iPhone you can use Mapquest 4 Mobile or MotionX GPS Drive for navigation.

Finally, while navigon is not an iPad app, only iPhone, if you download FullForce on the iPad it will let you run navigon in high resolution.

Here is a video of someone using Navigon with a WiFi iPad via BTstack GPS:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yU6raDM3TY[/ame]

Michael

OP
F

Farhan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Michael,
Thanks alot for your detailed reply.
ip4 as external gps reciever would be awesome!! i guess i'll wait for that and i'll make sure that my next gen ipad is 3g+wifi ;-). for now i'll rewire my car stereo to work with 2 AUX cables (for for iphone 4 running gps for voice instructions and 2nd for ipad playing music/vids).

Anyway thanks alot for the input

Farhan,
Cheers

Most reactions

Latest posts