iPad for video in

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Mkpoto, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Mkpoto

Mkpoto
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,
    I dont know what happened to my old thread but I was curious about whether to use the iPad for a video in. I would like to hook it up to a computer and use it as the display. I know there is Air Display and a bunch of other apps, but wondering if there was a solid cable connections. Any suggestions?

and does anyone know if I can use the VGA cable connector to use the ipad as the monitor or is it the other way around?

2. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    The VGA connector is used to output from the iPad to the device, not the other way around.

PS - you must not have had an old thread because this is your first post on the forum.

3. PokerMan

PokerMan
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    out of luck

4. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Nope an app like Air Display is your only option for that.

5. iTazm0n

iTazm0n
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    For an alternative you could get a USB monitor. They're pretty convenient and I've read, are getting better all the time. Most are 7-10 inch LED screens, so basically netbook screens. On the plus side, hard wired connection allow for faster refresh, cons are basically having to shell out $110-250 and have another device to haul around. But they work well and don't take up much more space in you r computer bag than an iPad. I'll probably be getting one.

One Example- ThinkGeek :: Mimo Mini USB Monitor

Aside from that, I've been happily using my iPad with AirVideo for adjustment palettes when I use Aperture3. I'm amazed how well it works, but there is a decent delay with the cursor movements and when dragging items around- video is impossible (well, possible, but terrible), still... I have a secondary monitor with me all the time.