What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

using an iPad 4 as a camera monitor

mcf57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was trying to use an old iPad 4 as basically a security camera monitor. I work in my basement & can't really hear when the door bell rings. Therefore, wanted to install an outdoor camera for my main floor front door/porch area & then simply be able to monitor its activity from the iPad 4. This way I can always see it and when someone might arrive

The latest OS I can get on this iPad 4 is 10.3.3 & it seems like most of the apps out there require a much higher OS.

I thought about jailbreaking this iPad 4 to maybe accomplish this, but any other suggestions on how to do this?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jailbreaking the iPad won’t let you install a newer iOS version than allowed. You will also not be able to install apps that require a newer version of iOS.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some security cameras can join your wi-fi network, providing an IP address. You can then access the camera using Safari or another browser on the iPad. It is not ideal, and the interface varies a lot from camera to camera, but it's the only method I know that is generic, and will probably work with older versions of iOS.

Make sure the camera description says it's compatible with older versions of Safari or some other browser from that time period.

No real guarantees that it will work, but it's my best guess. I used to do this with a camera several years ago.

Most reactions

Latest posts