Ipad as computer replacement?

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by 098225001, Jun 13, 2012.

1. cdf3

cdf3 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not on my job. No one can get a 3G/4G signal. It's either 1x or no service at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  2. dhewson777

dhewson777 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0
    A shame. I know that in some places, modern 3G is dodgy the best of times.

At work, our network was set up before wifi was a big deal, so everything is ethernet. I brought in my old wifi router from before I upgraded to cable (with a new wireless router). I set it up so now staff with iPhones and iPads, plus the boss with his windows 7 laptop can connect wirelessly.

I guess it just depends on how strict an IT policy your workplace has.
  3. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,531 / 1
    Have you seen this thread on how to set up your own personal cloud storage?
    http://www.ipadforums.net/network-attached-storage-nas/74006-personal-cloud-storage.html
  4. elau

elau iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I find the iPad can do more than I ever imagine. I first thought it is a toy but lately it is my primary work horse. I love the fact I can take notes in meetings and pictures too. And they all neatly organized in the Evernote (that I primary use) without me doing a thing is just great. I have not even opened my company's laptop in a month. With the right applications, I am a firm believer this tablet can easily replace my laptop. And by the way, I am a Computer Telephony Integration engineer and for me to use the iPad for my work means no easy task.
  5. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Onlive Desktop and a solid wifi/4g connection. Use word directly and get a ultra thin keyboard.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tomarseneault

tomarseneault iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For school there are two issues, in class device and course work device. For an in class device an IPad is idea, Long battery life, light weight, small form factor and Internet ready. note taking is a breeze either by screen keyboard, external kb, or by stylus. And the browser is good enough for better than 90% of what you may need (in my current on line course there is one page that will just not format in a useable way). One note I would make is if you decide to go with an external kb, shop around and get a good one. The two I bought, though easy to carry are a pain to type on. Get one you can use an will love you long time.

For class work, it may suffice for lower division undergrad work. Pages is fine for Papers and I have found many high end calculators for all you math and science needs. My degree was very technical and many of the applications I needed were not available on the IPad, at least not to the complexity needed. Also I found pages lacking for term papers. Though you could do them you had to jump through hoops to get the right formatting (new formatting standards bring adopted by many schools are making that less of a hassle).

Numbers I have found lacking even for simple spread sheets.

Flash, want to avoid any religious debate here but one set of classes I use require Flash. So IPad is useless for those classes. They are on line courses.

For upper division work and graduate work a desk top/laptop is required. Unfortunately a Win pc is need many times.
  7. JockeyStrap

JockeyStrap iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my ipad has completely replaced my laptop, for what i was using the laptop for, i can do it more quickly on the ipad, so i sold the laptop
  8. quake5254

quake5254 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    There are still a lot of things I can do with a laptop over iPad.
  9. birdydon

birdydon iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes. What you need to do is to set up a "server" on your desktop machine for a popular file sharing protocol such as FTP or WebDAV. Following that, you can install an iOS client. WebDAVNav+, for example, can be used for a WebDAV server. A little Googling should show you how to set one up. If you need to transfer files only from your desktop to your iPad, an app like Air Ransfer Pro will do the job nicely. Also consider GoodReader which will connect to many kind of servers.
  10. HappyPelican

HappyPelican iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I very rarely use my laptop anymore. I've found I'm able to do about 98% of what I need on my iPad. There are two websites I use which require me to use my laptop because for some odd reason, the bill pay screen I need simply won't open on my iPad and unfortunately I have to pay my bills:D
  11. Luber905

Luber905 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've *almost* completely abandoned my old BlackBook. love the thing, have done so ever since I bought it. But it's so much simpler, faster, more convenient, nicer to work on the iPad. I do have a ZaggFolio Bluetooth keyboard case which is a necessity at times but the ipad outshines the laptop by light years.
  12. GaryRea

GaryRea iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I'm a PC, so I have a slight bias, but, even if I were using a Mac, I would still say there are certain things I would want either a laptop or desktop for. The virtual keyboard in the iPad is a pain in the ass, for one thing, and I'm seriously considering getting a physical keyboard add-on. Other than that and some possible screen size issues with certain types of apps, I think the iPad could be a replacement for a laptop or desktop, with some adjustment.
  13. coolstuffs

coolstuffs iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have the Ipad but I still could not find any reason or justification why I should replace my computers with it.
  14. dhevans_6

dhevans_6 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have to say after having my new MacBook air for two weeks I could do without the iPad and stick with the MacBook.

The iPad is king at consuming content, and you can't turn a MacBook to portrait, but if I had to choose between them, I think it would be the mac for me. it's just more versatile and I don't see the 11" screen being too small (it has a 24" monitor to hook up to if need the real estate).

I am however lucky in that I can own both, but won't be so stoked to now rush out and replace the iPad when the next version comes out!
  15. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    It really depends on who you are. If I were retired, for example, an iPad w/ BT kb might be fine. But I do too many different and demanding things to depend on an iPad alone. But it can do a surprising amount of things that used to be the domain of standard computers.
  16. derina

derina iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Quite a few colleges have gone tablet. So is yours one of them. I know you can get quite a few textbooks through the apps(not sure of the names). I know of a couple of colleges in Arizona,California,Florida. They require a wireless keyboard and some note taking apps. The professors have you email the papers though pages app.

A friend of mine is going to a Christian college, and that is what she needed. She bought the 64 iPad and just syncs her work to her iCloud account.
  17. quake5254

quake5254 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Sounds interesting. No more books to carry. I just wonder how easy would it be to cross reference.
  18. janner43

janner43 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    We took early retirement a few years back & are fully "post PC". Everything we do or need to do is done on tablets :)

Android to start with, about to buy a new iPad - :)
  19. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
    Ratings:
    +603 / 0
    Heading there myself. Not the retirement part but
    a house without a PC.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF
  20. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    i have to say yet again,as much as i love my ipad it could never replace my MacBook Pro.