What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad as computer replacement?

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, sorry for asking this age-old question again, but I need some personal specifics.

I am going to college and current netbook is breaking down ( HP Mini 100-1000, great first pc ) so I need some info on what to do next. I hate Windows and android so I want to go Mac or iDevice. I was considering three things;

1. A Mac Mini, and just hang in there with the HP

2. An iPad, with a potential wireless keyboard

3. A MacBook air, I love the portability!

I know most of you will say iPad but if anyone has experience with two or all, what would you recommend?

Also, first post so be nice!

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Welcome to the forum.

My guess is you'll need a little more horsepower for your studies than what an iPad will provide. Unless your computing needs are purely recreational. Air does outgun the iPad and many desktops.

Apple just cut the price of Mac Air by $100 U.S., plus there's a hardware upgrade.

But if usage is all play, I vote iPad for its wonderful touch screen and operating simplicity.

AA

OP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Purely price-wise, I've already had a nudge to the iPad. USB connectivity can be done with the Camera Connection Kit and betters life is amazing. Might go iPad, I think.

xiaodedraco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used iPad for all my studies. You can even get some college books in digital form through iBooks which made carrying it around to class much more convenient. Plus I had some games on there to pass the time too. I got the 64gb + 3G never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bw53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Be careful of the camera connection. I have one for my iPad 3 . It's typical Apple junk. It will only open pictures no files. On top of that the SD connector will only open pictures that have not been modified in any way. Not even just transferred. Apple was afraid they may miss a nickel of your money. Another thing I noticed the USB connection would only work with my small drives I get a too much power warning.
Be warned the iPad is basically a toy it's by no means a laptop replacement.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bw53 said:
Be careful of the camera connection. I have one for my iPad 3 . It's typical Apple junk. It will only open pictures no files. On top of that the SD connector will only open pictures that have not been modified in any way. Not even just transferred. Apple was afraid they may miss a nickel of your money. Another thing I noticed the USB connection would only work with my small drives I get a too much power warning.
Be warned the iPad is basically a toy it's by no means a laptop replacement.

It's not just a toy if you get the right apps and accessories. No need to be misleading with your own opinions. ;)

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would not rely on an iPad by itself for study. It would be great in the classroom environment for noting taking, etc. but I still reckon you need a PC/Mac is some shape or form for the heavy duty assignments, thesis, etc.

Bw53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:
It's not just a toy if you get the right apps and accessories. No need to be misleading with your own opinions. ;)

Oh really. Please tell me the proper accessory to open an excel spreadsheet from the USB drive. I'm waiting

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bw53 said:
Oh really. Please tell me the proper accessory to open an excel spreadsheet from the USB drive. I'm waiting

USB transfer, whilst handy and useful is being overrun by a plethora of cloud based storage options. With these, a piece of cake! You could say USB is so 2010 :)

Bw53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
USB transfer, whilst handy and useful is being overrun by a plethora of cloud based storage options. With these, a piece of cake! You could say USB is so 2010 :)

Again LOL. you can tell I'm not all caught up in the Apple religion. Set up iCloud what a joke. Where's everything. Oh you can't see it but it's there. Floating up there with Steve

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bw53 said:
Again LOL. you can tell I'm not all caught up in the Apple religion. Set up iCloud what a joke. Where's everything. Oh you can't see it but it's there. Floating up there with Steve

I don't touch iCloud. I'm talking more practical cloud storage like Dropbox, for example. No tie in with Apple whatsoever and cross format friendly.

Most reactions

Latest posts