Ipad as computer replacement?

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by 098225001, Jun 13, 2012.

1. niloferl

niloferl iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I used iPad to study. It would be great if we are not taking anything to class for study as we will be using iPad in college as well as travelling also. Sometimes while travelling we can carry our iPad to check current location or track map to reach our destination.
  2. SeanR

SeanR iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Never had this problem on my SGS3 with chrome. Which sites are they having trouble with?

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  3. janner43

janner43 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Lots :) But the truth is that browsing on an Android tablet (we have several, Asus TF101, Motorola Xoom2 ME, Lenovo A1, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 7") is a different experience than that on a phone. :) To be fair, most of the problems come from the ability to run Flash & the ability to get the browsers to report that they want the "desktop" versions of sites. These two issues cause most of the problems.

Chrome is very fast, but it doesn't support Flash on Android.
  4. SeanR

SeanR iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gotcha. I'm sure there is ALOT more browsing done on a tablet. I guess I just don't do much browsing on a phone so I never ran into a problem. I don't have an android tablet, but I can see how problems could creep up with the more sites visited.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  5. ethansamuel17

ethansamuel17 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I use an iPad for when I'm on the run. I took went back to college and on my iPad I use Evernote to type school papers on when I'm out and about. That doesn't totally replace my laptop however. Stick with a laptop and an iPad secondary. Also for school you will want the MacBook pro. The air doesn't have a hard drive and you never know when you will need one.
  6. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,534 / 1
    And the latest Android operating system, Jelly Bean, doesn't support Flash.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  7. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Mobile Flash has been abandoned. It's no longer a supported product.
  8. janner43

janner43 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Technically correct. Although it is probably more semantically correct to say Adobe don't support Flash on Jelly Bean, as Flash can still be sideloaded on Jelly Bean - and it still works :). A lot of browsers are removing it from their newest versions of their apps, however, so to use it you'll often need to sideload an earlier version of that browser, too.

Adobe even have an archive site for downloading the Flash Player app directly - Archived Flash Player versions

So it's on its way out, unquestionably. But it ain't quite dead yet - nearly, but still just about breathing...
  9. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Only alive by chance, not by design. The entire Mobile Flash group was disbanded.
  10. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    And whoop, there it is! Yes, you can set up a NAS at home that's accessible remotely, but you're at the mercy of your connection speed as far as how convenient that is. Or you can get a portable wifi drive, but that's just another thing to carry/more weight and bulk. Simpler to use a laptop and have everything with you, especially if you've got a MacBook Air, which isn't much larger than an iPad w/Apple Bluetooth Keyboard.

Last month, my old laptop died, and I thought I'd give the solo iPad experience a try. I found that the iPad was good at all the things I was already using it for - content consumption like movies, tv shows, gaming, reading novels - but stumbled a bit as far as storage or content creation. And Flash remains a problem, at least in terms of convenience. Several sites I use do offer apps that let me access the same content as their web pages, but downloading multiple apps for sites I use infrequently is an annoyance, compared to keeping a bookmark on my laptop.

A good analogy for an iPad and laptop is owning a scooter and a car. For a lot of what most people do day-to-day, a scooter will work fine, but it will always lack the power and versatility of a car. Like some iPad users, there are people that get by with just a scooter, but these rugged individualists are the minority.
  11. oberkc

oberkc iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Seconded. Nice analogy.
  12. kids4ever

kids4ever iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Be careful of the camera connection. I have one for my iPad 3 . It's typical Apple junk. It will only open pictures no files. On top of that the SD connector will only open pictures that have not been modified in any way. Not even just transferred. Apple was afraid they may miss a nickel of your money. Another thing I noticed the USB connection would only work with my small drives I get a too much power warning.
    Be warned the iPad is basically a toy it's by no means a laptop replacement.
  13. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    No one ever said that the camera connection kit did anything except allow you to transfer images taken from a camera into your photo app on the device.

That's all Apple ever advertised it as doing, and no surprise that's exactly what it doe.

It's not a general purpose SD card or USB interface, and has never pretended to be.

If this makes the iPad a toy for you, by all means switch to a more professional tablet. The iPad at not be the right device for you.
  14. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +749 / 0
    Ok, I'll preface my comment here by saying that I've never used the CCK as I have wireless solutions but your complaint that the CCK will only open pictures (which may or may not be correct) and therefore it is junk seems to miss an important point, it is called the Camera Connection Kit......isn't the clue in the name? Claiming that it is junk because it "does what it says on the tin" seems a somewhat flawed argument......

The Archangel
  15. Beryl

Beryl iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I now use a desktop, an iPad, and an iPhone. My 2 laptops are in corners collecting dust. I pull them out once/month to do OS and antivirus updates. My iPad is such a laptop replacement that I now need a 7" tablet. :D
  16. boobaloo

boobaloo iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with that whole heartedly! After a year of trying to do anything useful with my iPad2, I've given up and have decided to sell it. Not sure if I'll bother with eBay or what. I just finished resetting it to factory defaults. The camera connection gives me the message "This Device Not Supported by iPad"....Well, "Apple Not Supported By This Human". I'm done with Apple's non-compatabilities with the rest of the world.
  17. danieljackson09

danieljackson09 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

My vote for iPad. Portable, comfortable and its just great. For education purposes, iPad is much greater than the others two. i use iPad only
  18. Pharlap

Pharlap iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    First answer would be ease of use

I dont miss sitting in bed with a laptop and waiting to boot then connecting to network , checking battery every ten minutes ,slowly dozing off then the laptop crashes to the floor ,laugh it did happen and not the first.
    Read ipad in bed and the worst you can do is also doze off while reading and the damn thing decides to wake you up constantl by slowly leaning forward and crashing straight across the bridge of your nose (they should supply a soft bumper with the damn thing.
    You can do almost anything with this as it has been designed for all us lazy buggers who couldn't be bothered with all the other wanna be suppliers of android and surface
    I will put my hand up and say their interfaces are about 2-3years behind Ipad
    So if you want to be successful just get out and buy one but don't get sucked into updating every new unit release

P.S. i still fix desktop and laptops for fun as i could not make a loving out of fixings ipads .software is key to reliability and KISS
  19. Fn1889m

Fn1889m iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know this is an old thread, but it still seems relevant, so:

I have not figured out how to access a hard drive except through Dropbox. I have not had the need.

On the other hand, I finally bought the Apple bluetooth keyboard. I wish I had bought it first. I went through two or three after market (Logitech) keyboards, and they were all too much trouble. But I find the Apple bluetooth keyboard to be integrated enough, and have keys that are large enough, that it actually does make typing easier, and the shortcut commands work. I still only use it when I am at the office. So my recommendation is, if you are trying to bootstrap your iPad into a laptop, get the Apple keyboard. Don't settle for any substitutes. Apple is just too good at product integration.

After using the iPad for 9 months, I still think it is a good laptop substitute, but I still rely on my desktop to finish most documents to final. But I did create a spread sheet on Numbers for my checking account and used it to do my taxes on Turbotax with a schedule C. I am getting rid of Quicken on the PC.

Second, since my original post, all the local courts now have public wireless, so I can access all all my files from the courtroom via Dropbox. That is a major improvement. (As an aside, some of the courts have interesting filters for certain words in their wireless connection, based on my informal survey. But someone else will have to bring the 1st Amendment law suit for that one. ;-)

So, in general, I think it works better as a laptop substitute than when this thread started.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  20. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    I think more and more people will try to replace their other systems with tablets but there almost always ends up being that one thing you can't do. Or that one game that you still play. The idea is very appealing as you save a lot of space and clutter getting rid of PCs and laptops all through the house. If there was some way to have a USB port on the iPad which you could plug an external hard drive into and then manipulate the files, it'd be a lot closer.