iPad as a printer replacement

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by omro, May 19, 2010.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I am using Dropbox and the new update will even export pics from drop box into your albums on ipad if you so choose. also it is nice because you can view all the files you need to without taking up space on the ipad. I currently have 2.5gb for free from them so the service for a free service is top notch and easy to sync with multiple computers as well. I save a file at work to my dropbox and can access it anywhere. when I turn on my laptop it downloads instantly. The ipad allows for viewing but if it is a document and you need to edit it and have a program to do so such as numbers it will let you. such a sweet app can't go wrong and its free to boot.

2. rowan

rowan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    If you're saying you simply what to Print to PDF, which the Mac print dialog box already has built-in (thanks OS X!) then just install Dropbox, set the default folder to wherever you want it, put that in the sidebar so it's always available, then print and save to that location. Nearly immediately, the file will show up on in the Dropbox folder on your iPad.

Once you're looking at it in Dropbox on your iPad, just choose which app to open it in (using the icon in the upper right corner). On mine, it shows I can open the PDF in iAnnotate PDF or GoodReader. I usually open PDFs in iAnnotate PDF, so once it's opened in the reader app it's now on your iPad and can be deleted from your Dropbox storage.

Note well: As of yesterday, the iPad Dropbox app is at version 1.2.1 and that's the version you want to use (this note is for people who have already installed it). It fixes a number of bugs, the most annoying being that when you open a PDF transferred via Dropbox to another app, it gets assigned a 12-digit number and loses its original name. Version 1.2.1 fixes that annoying problem (but I had to delete Dropbox, then reinstall the new version to make that little bug go away).

3. john

john
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The more I look at this and tinker with it the more ways I come up with it do it. :D

Link fixed: thank you!

Regards,

4. omro

omro
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You're welcome.

List them, I'm curious. I wish I had my iPad already! I want to play with it!!

5. stever

stever
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    GoAruna is another service App like Dropbox.

I think they are both free, up to a certain GB storage.
    Try them both and see how you like them.

6. john

john
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    All,
    It took me a while to try a few options before I came to this one.

http://ipad-candy.com/print-to-ipad/

I tired to make it as clean as possible using a soft printer and tried to get the file quickly to the PAD in a format that was easily read/displayed.
    Enjoy.
    Regards,

#16 john, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  7. john

john
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Omro did you try it?

8. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I absolutely refuse this.
    I WILL NOT send an iPad as a bill to my clients who are too stupid to buy a computing device. The cost of shipping would be prohibitive...:D

WHAT!!!...:p

9. john

john
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Printing to iPad

LOL no doubt. Send it as an end of month bill with screen captures of all the printouts in a rotating slide show! ;) that's smooth...

You COULD however send less "things" to your printer this way and save a few bucks a year on paper. If your like me and print lots of reports, specs, and analysis work so this is great. I'm going to tweak it some with my adobe settings so that the "printer" auto names the file.

That way i just choose print to iPad ePrinter and it shows up in my drop box.

Anyway it was fun to workout. I hope it's helpful to someone.

10. john

john
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    All,

I put up a video on youtube showing how the 'print to ipad' tutorial works out... Let me know your thoughts. I've really been enjoying printing documents to the pad.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e6emwvRa-E]YouTube - PrintToIpad.wmv[/ame]

Thanks,

John