iPad apps telling me they're not compatible with my iPad!

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Zeta08, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Zeta08

Zeta08
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I got a notification to update my Keynote app, but when I clicked on 'update' all I got was a message 'app is not compatible with this iPad', even though it's just an update to an app which I've been using OK. Then today, I tried to install the new Guardian iPad app, and got the same message. :(
    Does anyone know what this is all about? Is it my iPad, or a problem with the app store, or something else?
    Thanks

2. stevnim

stevnim
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Maybe doing a sync, uninstalling the offending apps, doing the iOS upgrade then reinstalling the apps would work.

-stevnim

3. Rome

Rome
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I am getting the same erroe message on all three of the iWorks apps. Pages, Numbers and Keynote. Unable to update

4. jsh1120

jsh1120
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Just give up. Have a drink...have another drink. The iOS 5 update is creating massive problems everywhere. Servers overloaded. Verification of devices fails. App "incompatibility" fails as a result. There is no solution. Go to bed and wait for the millions of frustrated users who counted on their Apple devices to "just work" do the same thing.

5. Zeta08

Zeta08
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the quick reply, stevnim. It's a brand new iPad2 (only had it a week), so I'm surprised I'd need to do any kind of iOS upgrade already, and the Guardian app problem is an app I haven't yet got, so can't try uninstalling that one! But I'll do a sync anyway, and maybe try rebooting it.

6. jsh1120

jsh1120
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    You're not alone. And it has nothing to do with the app you're trying to update. You just happened to purchase an iPad a week before a major cluster**** brought about by Apple not being prepared for the onslaught of users trying to update their devices.

7. Zeta08

Zeta08
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Oh dear, sounds like we should just become a load of drunk Apple users who have all lost heart! :( (maybe a group of drunk Apple users should be called a 'cider')

8. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Not a whole lot they could have done to lessen the load.

9. jsh1120

jsh1120
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Not so. They could have made the update available only to selected groups of users. Since iTunes has the email addresses of virtually every owner of a device, they could have randomly selected groups of devices and enabled an update portal only for those who were on the (expanding) list. That's more or less the approach used for various Android devices and it works just fine. Complaints from people about not being at the head of the line, but at least when one is selected it's possible to do an update in less than 8 hours. In a couple of weeks, the entire user community would have had the opportunity to update their devices with none of the chaos that's currently going on.

10. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Some of the apps are set up to work with iOS5, or can be waiting on a server.