iPad Apps Crashing more and more

Discussion in 'iPad 1 Forum' started by SEODave, Feb 4, 2012.

1. foslock

foslock
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I've noticed my iPad 1 also crashing on random Apps a lot as well. I think most of this is due to developers testing on the newest hardware (iPad 2s) with a little more generous memory limits than our "old" generation one devices. Apple might be able to do something in an iOS update, but my bets are that apps are just going to get less stable on our old devices.

2. leelai

leelai
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes I guess that's a good way to view it, the iPad needs some maintenance to run well same as a PC does.
    Members with ipad1's will just have to do it more regularly and it's such a simple task to do, so it shouldn't be a problem. Putting up with apps crashing, that's the headache!

I have so many notes now, all gleaned from this Forum and our members, so it's good to just keep putting the info out there. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

3. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, Leelai!!

4. b00bie

b00bie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    There is no guarantee that this will work for you but it did help me on my iPad 1. I read that cloud services use a bunch of main memory which makes less available for other programs so I turned off some of the ones that I don't use and that has considerably reduced my crashes. I turned off bookmarks, mail and notes, I don't use Safari or my me.com mail address and while I do synch my contacts, calendars and reminders with my wife's iPad 1 I do not use notes, so for me this was a good way to free up a little space in RAM....YMMV. i will be replaceing both of my Pads when the 3 arrives.

#14 b00bie, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  5. Ruthie

Ruthie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I've done what you suggested so will see if it makes a difference.

6. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I think a lot of us will be upgrading to 3. I suspect that many of us have pushed 1 as far as it can go and IOS 5 really taxes it. I turned off a lot of options and that helps but I also find I'm doing a lot of soft resets too which does help along with closing apps (I wish there was some easy way to "close all"). I've enjoyed my Ipad which I've had since they came out but am looking forward to the upgrade.

7. joecast

joecast
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Same story here. Ipad1 with too many random crashes. Very frustrating.
    Thanks to all for the suggested fixes. Will try them out and see how it goes. Though I'm sure apples favorite bit of advice is buy an ipad3. Surely there should be more economical ways of keeping these devices operating well for a bit longer.

8. Sandir

Sandir
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I am having the exact same problem with my iPad and I bought it about the same time. I still have a support contract, so I'm going to call Apple.

9. Sandir

Sandir
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I did not call Apple yet. Safari is mostly crashing on one site - ancestry.com. I am now using the iswifter browser for that site and it does not crash. The browser is also supposed to support flash on the iPad also, but I haven't tried that yet. Hope this info helps

10. jwt873

jwt873
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I've still got my iPad I. .. iTunes is the only app that crashes for me on a pretty regular basis. Otherwise, app crashes aren't really an issue for me. If I use iTunes to browse through albums and listen to the song samples, the whole app will crash after the third or fourth album. Some podcasts crash the app when I try to download them.. This has gone on for the last couple of versions of IOS. It's not a new thing for me. It kind of bugs me since it's a native Apple app...