What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone else's iPad 1 crash a lot more often than it used to?

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I first bought it there would be an app here or there that it would crash on sometimes. As time went on it got more frequent, and with more apps. Now it seems to be crashing too often for my taste. Anyone else experiencing this? Is it something I'm just going to have to live with or is there a fix?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, all ipad 1 users would be experiencing more crashes. Your iPad is crashing because of a lack of ram. The iPad 1 has only 256mb of ram compared to the ipad2 which has 512mb and the newer iPads which have 1 GB of ram. As apps are only getting bigger with advancing technology the iPad 1 will continue to struggle more and more to keep up. Any sites you may visit through Safari which are graphic intensive will cause crashes also.

There are some steps you can take which will limit this happening as much and these steps will also free up ram.

Limit your location services to the apps you are using now.

Close apps regularly (all apps in your multi task bar are using some ram, even though they are not running and closing them completely will free up this ram)

My apologies if you know already.......To close apps completely - From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen.

Go to Settings - Safari and Clear your History and also Clear your Cookies and Data. Safari retains bits of info from every site you visit.....if you would like to have a look first before clearing your History etc. go to Settings - Safari - Advanced - Website Data - Show All Sites. As you can see there's a lot there.

After doing this, it would be a good idea to do a reset of your iPad just to allow everything to settle in nicely. Apple have now ceased updates for the iPad 1 as it is really quite old now in technology terms and although it will still continue to be a great device for certain tasks, it may be time to upgrade to a newer iPad!

And again, apologies if you do know........Reset - Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you may see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

I do hope these steps help you.

OP
D

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I'm going to try them all right now. I've deleted nearly every app from the iPad. I use it mostly as a reader, but I have kept a few other apps on as well. And I use it for work, which is what worried me most about the crashing. I do need a new iPad, but I am new in my career and have had to spend so much money on other job related things I need to hang onto this one at least until January

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I'm going to try them all right now. I've deleted nearly every app from the iPad. I use it mostly as a reader, but I have kept a few other apps on as well. And I use it for work, which is what worried me most about the crashing. I do need a new iPad, but I am new in my career and have had to spend so much money on other job related things I need to hang onto this one at least until January

You're welcome!

There's really no need to delete apps as it won't make any difference to this happening.....closing your apps completely is the big point here to save as much ram as possible. Although high intensity graphic apps will struggle a lot also.

You'll find sites like Facebook will be the ones crashing a lot....you could see if using an app for this rather than going through Safari helps....this is if you use fb.....a lot do, which is why I'm mentioning it. ;)

I understand completely all the things you need for a new career, I have 3 daughters starting out and it's a big drain! Good luck in your career!!

mahbub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They're not blooming as oft as a number of months agone, and albeit i do not understand why. I turned off gestures a number of weeks agone, however the stabilization had begun before then. The Business business executive app is that the one that crashes the foremost often: a minimum of each different launch. hunting expedition crashes perhaps once per week.

marge wakefield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I first bought it there would be an app here or there that it would crash on sometimes. As time went on it got more frequent, and with more apps. Now it seems to be crashing too often for my taste. Anyone else experiencing this? Is it something I'm just going to have to live with or is there a fix?
I am having the same problem and was wondering if it is the battery or the hard drive is getting "full". I am not a tech savvy user.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried Leelai's excellent advice in the second post of the thread? In most cases, they solve the problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts