What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Netflix Gone From iPad

Shaila

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Apple iPad (first generation) was playing Netflix fine until a few days ago when it suddenly disappeared. When I try to access Netflix from Safari, I get taken to the Apps store where it shows that it is already downloaded (grayed out). Any idea how to fix it?

much thanks

S

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 or 4.3 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

OP
S

Shaila

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Done that

Dear Tim

Thanks for the prompt assistance.

I have tried both measures you recommended already without success. Any other thoughts? Someone even recommended resetting network settings, which I did, again without success.

BTW, we power off the iPad nightly and close out of all apps.

S

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is puzzling - because 'missing' apps are usually fixed by this 'solution'. OK - let's try something slightly more aggressive - a reboot. It probably won't help, but it's better to try the easy solutions first - before we get on to the difficult stuff.

Switch the iPad off. Now press and hold the Power and Home buttons together for what might seem a very long time - until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will then reboot - it takes a while, so have patience - and then see if this has fixed the problem.

As I said, it probably won't, but it's an easy thing to do and it's been known to fix a whole load of problems.

Get back to us if the problem still persists and, for sure, we'll sort it out...

Good Luck...

Tim

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Delete the iPad app and fully reboot the iPad like Tim stated. Then delete the app from your PC in iTunes (make sure to throw it in the Recycle Bin or Trash) and then redownload it from iTunes and sync to iPad. Corruption can happen and get sync'd.

kenjen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apps not showing up on ipad

I solved my problem today by turning off restrictions. I hope this helps.

OP
S

Shaila

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My problem persists. I tried all the tips you all mentioned. Although I am not sure how to delete the app from iTune.
Shaila

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I solved my problem today by turning off restrictions. I hope this helps.

Excellent idea!! Yes, check you don't have 'Settings', 'Restrictions' set. The Netflix app has an age 'rating' because of the ability to watch 'adult' content. If you have set an age limit in 'Settings', 'Restrictions' then not only does this disable the app, it removes its icon entirely from the screen of the iPad. So it might be worth checking your age restrictions and see if they're set.

Thanks, kenjen, for a great suggestion - Tim now goes off an hides in embarrassment for not suggesting this himself...:(

OP
S

Shaila

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It worked

I turned off the restrictions and it worked. Netflix icon is back. Thanks so much, you guys!

Shaila

Most reactions

Latest posts