What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and Magic Jack

Tom J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, this is going to sound like a question coming from a very stingy person, but please bear with me.

I understand the iPad with 3G is not out yet, but will be shortly. I am an AT&T cell phone user and quite frankly, I think cell phone companies overcharge. I like the idea of getting one over on them.

At first I thought about getting a bare-bones phone to replace my smartphone and using my iPad for internet connections, etc., then I got another idea.--why not buy an iPad with 3G and pay AT&T their $30 a month for unlimited internet usage and then hook up a phone to my iPad with a Magic Jack adapter. I realize this could be a bit cumbersome, but is there any reason this will not work and allow me a portable phone, albeit cumbersom, plus internet access, all for $30 a month?

I would be interested in your thoughts. Thanks

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anything is possible - but from what I could tell on the MagicJack site - you need a computer to run the magicjack. That means you need to load software onto a Windows 7, Mac Intel, etc. type of machine. I would doubt there's an iPad app right now that supports MagicJack. I would also tend to doubt that the iPad OS is robust enough to drive MagicJack.

You might want to give the MagicJack people a call and see what they say

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've used skype - but there was a fairly complicated program I had to download and install to make it work. Not to way they won't write a skype program to support the iPad - but skype works through the internet and if available for the iPad could be used with the wifi computers as well. To think of it - I would bet the MagicJack would also work with a wifi model.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still waiting on an iPad Skype, but you can use the iPhone version...I just think the iPhone apps look pretty horrible compared to the iPad apps.

SerenityLodge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Magic Jack on the iPad

I have and use Magic Jack. I had it plugged in on my iMac, but switched it over to our one remaining Windows XP box, because the Magic Jack did not seem to work right on the iMac.

However, it requires an available USB slot. It will not work on iPad, because the iPad has no such slot.

OP
T

Tom J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USB slot

Hi, I know the iPad does not have a USB slot, but I thought you could buy an adapter that plugged into the slot you use for charging and which has a USB slot on the other end.

I know my question is a bit unusual, but like I said, I kind of like the idea of AT&T effectively let me have internet and cell phone for $30 a month. Aw hell, who am I kidding? I am looking for an excuse to buy an iPad.

Thanks for the comments.

SerenityLodge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have the iPAD *YET* <grin>. But, have been trying to keep up with all the information and hype. The only adaptors I've seen so far, is the iPad Camera Connection Kit, one of which is a USB adaptor. I don't know if it would accommodate anything other than a camera, but I'm sure someone will try! Not having USB slots in a new product today, is almost archaic. I'm hoping that in the future iteration, Apple will include USB and, of course, a front facing camera. One can only hope.

kilofox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Vonage iPhone app allows you to make unlimited domestic VOIP calls. No Vonage account needed. It should work on iPad. Better value than Skype for domestic calls.

In2ishun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my iPad and found an app in the app store for free called "whistle". I have been amazed!!! Free voip calls and they are clearer and better than magic Jack. Only issue is you can't pick your #... but I'll take that for free any day!!!

Renowden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is an IPAD app called Magicjack (talk free) and its pretty sweet!
Hi, I'm a new poster. Let's give it a go.
I've been using MJ for several years and was delighted when an app for MJ became available. Everything started ok, I could make and receive calls. Now I can only make calls.. Receiving calls is another matter. The I pad rings, I open the app and the phone keeps ringing and I cannot talk or listen to the caller. Is there some kind of trick to take calls?

Last edited:

webdevii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just purchased an iPad 2 for 2 reasons.
1. Out of respect from Mr. Jobs as it being his last creation before his unfortunate death, I grew up with Apple and both Steve's beginning back in the late 70's early 80's.
2. Magic Jack will ride the WiFi or the infamous 3G network provided by Verizon. I do believe it will also ride the AT&T 3G as well.
I bought mine Jail Broken but still opted for the Verizon 50GB plan for $50.00 per month which equates out to about 75 hours of talk time per month. With those kinds of numbers I am seriously thinking of downsizing to the 20GB option for $20.00 which equates out to about 30 hours per month talk time. and is $20.00 less than my Metro PCS month to month plan.
However having the iPad now I have a Phone, Computer, Web Browser, GPS and who knows what else for not alot of money. Other than the expense of the iPad itself.

I purchased it from FeeBay I think you know my sarcasm by now for $560.00 free Shipping Model iPad 2, 32GB, Jail Broken, with a Desk Dock, Charger and Magnetic Leather Cover. Not a bad deal until the day after when Apple announced the iPad 3 will be pre-orderable on March 19th 2012. All of the FeeBay sellers suddenly dropped their prices considerably. Oh well.

Now onto the Phone part. I downloaded the Magic Jack app from the App Store for Free, was afraid to install it in fear of not knowing what I was doing a/o i have been a PC user for 30 odd years now. I touched Install, about 30 seconds later it asked me if I wanted to use my existing MJ number I touched yes, and voila, I ran the app got the dial pad, made a call from the iPad to whomever they answered with excellent reception over the WiFi network, I made a call into it over WiFi, excellent reception. Now came my biggest fear, how would the service work over the 3G network. Well I am happy to report FLAWLESSLY!! But 2 things to remember,
1. You must have the app running to receive calls
2. If your using the 3G network you will be debited data time from your wireless provider plan. But again equated out it is about 1MB per minute of talk time.

So any of you that were skeptical of using the iPad as a phone you need not worry, at least with the Magic Jack service. Oh and did I mention it automatically imports all of your contacts in from your Magic Jack service providing you were using the regular Magic Jack and not the Plus version. I started out with the first version of MJ and recently Upgraded to the Plus version. and regretted that no more PC screen to display incoming and outgoing call logs. But with the iPad 2 all is good!!

The other reason I will not buy an iPad 3 is the huge price jump, a 32GB unit with WiFi and 4G service is $799.00 add another $150.00 for 64GB version. and besides it was designed and rolled out by the new CEO not the Late Steve Jobs!

Enough said
Enjoy
Dev

Most reactions

Latest posts