What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad and iTunes - transferring apps

caseyscherm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it just me, or is Apple's iTunes/iOS technology really difficult to understand? I mean Apple is supposed to be the intuitive answer to Microsoft - and IBM and everyone else that ever produced an operating system, yes? What's difficult is figuring out this opaque scheme of how Apple ties content on an device like an iPad through iTunes on a PC to the Apple store and why I can't transfer apps on my wife's iPad to iTunes.

My wife got an iPad 1 maybe 18 months ago (?) and over that period she has accumulated a number of apps somehow. Some she downloaded for free, I think, a few we paid for.

By now she has a good deal of content on this iPad, which is currently at iOS 4.3.3. She wants to upgrade to a later release of iOS so she can use it with a work-related app that requires at least 5.x.

So I logged into a PC and installed iTunes on the account I logged into. I then connected the iPad to the PC, which correctly downloaded the device drivers and the iPad popped up in iTunes. I was following instructions from an earlier post in this forum by "marilyn" who seems very knowledgeable. She said to first transfer all the apps from the iPad to the PC/iTunes. When I tried to do this, iTunes told me that it couldn't transfer 19 apps because this computer wasn't authorized and to go to Store and Authorize this computer, which I did. But subsequent attempts to transfer the apps failed with the same error and the same 19 apps it wouldn't transfer.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thx in advance for any help.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

We're these 19 apps downloaded under the same Apple ID as the iTunes account you have. If these apps were downloaded under a different account they will not transfer between accounts.

To upgrade your wife's iPad it will need to be done connected to this PC. As it is an iPad 1 it will only update to 5.1.1 as OS6 was not made available to the first iPad..

You will need to make sure you have the latest version of iTunes on your pc and its a good idea to also disable your virus protection/firewall for the duration of the update. Also do a complete backup first. I will include some links to guide you.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/50385-how-do-i-upgrade-ios-5-a.html#post345719
[video=vimeo;30421920]http://vimeo.com/30421920[/video]
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/49411-ios-5-upgrade-troubleshooting.html#post339338

Good luck and let us know how you go.

kanson82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have what I hope is a clearer question regarding the movement of apps and the reason for doing so. A friend has an app on his iPad that was free but you can no longer down load it from the app store. Is it possible to copy and add this to my iPad? The suggestions from the posts above would no but I thought I'd ask.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no, the same principle applies even if it's is free. Apple only allows the downloading of apps from the App Store - you can't get them from any where else. To do otherwise would be to violate copyright.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts