What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad and iphone connectivity

iansmith56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Afternoon everyone

I've searched the internet and am not able to find the answers I'm looking for, so I hope the help will come from here.

I have an ipad3 and am considering an iphone 4 or 5 for a specific reason.

I'm involved in running a few festivals and often take random photos on a compact camera. I'm looking at buying an iphone as I would then have the phone and camera combined, which would save a lot of space when I'm doing site build and management.

I would like to transfer photo's and videos, taken on the iphone, to my ipad. I would then want/need/desire to delete the photos from the phone but keep them on the ipad.

In every case there would be no wi-fi available. I would need to transfer the images/video by cable.

So my questions are :

Is there a cable that allows

1) transfer of photos/videos from iphone to ipad
2) transfer of photos/videos from ipad to iphone
3) deletion of selected images on either or both devices when needed

I must point out that there will be no laptops/pc/mac machines available at any time so using a 3rd party machine is not an option.

In addition, I want to then be able to transfer images/videos to a 3rd party's iphone/ipad, again by cable, so that person can then upload to the festival(s) websites from their phone/ipad when they are in a different location where they do have an internet connection.

Any one able to help me on this? All feedback more than welcome.

Ps, As all the work I do at the festivals is voluntary there is no financial support for using the likes of 3g/4g for uploading numerous photos/videos from the actual geographical festival sites.

Thank you everyone :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With a stock device (phone or iPad), the only way to transfer photos using a cable is from the phone to the iPad - and you would use the Camera Connection Kit (CCK) from Apple ($29, USD).

With the CCK, you connect the phone to the iPad. The Photo app will automatically open and then you get a choice to import a selection of photos (or all). Then, once the photos are on the iPad (doesn't matter who's iPad), you can disconnect the two devices. Then, you can delete photos from either without affecting the photos on the other (e.g. keep the photos on the iPad you just transferred - delete the ones on the phone).

You can rinse and repeat this process however many times, to multiple iPads.

There is no way to do this with the CCK from the iPad to the phone. There are apps that use Bluetooth to affect a transfer, but reviews are not good (some say it takes up to 15 minutes to transfer one picture). If you had access to WiFi, then you could get apps that allow transfer over WiFi (PhotoSync is one of the best apps for that). However, without WiFi, and with horrible Bluetooth transfer speed, I'm afraid that moving photos TO an iPhone is pretty much a non-starter.

So, there's two out of three (with the CCK): You can [quickly] transfer photos to any iPad and then delete any photos you don't want.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another option is the air stash. It has its own wifi so you can connect wirelessly anywhere and don't need wifi or cellular. The devices works with SD cards and they can be up to 128gb in size. The app that uses it is free in the App Store. More pricey than cck but has more features too.

Others can connect to is as well if they have the app and you make it so they can log onto the device to transfer files.

OP
iansmith56

iansmith56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that information guys.

I have been considering the Airstash and it is an option worth looking into.

Can photos be transferred to an iphone via Airstash? And can it be done iphone to iphone, ipad to iphone using Airstash?

Sorry if I've duplicated any questions as I'll have to admit that my brain is about to explode from researching all of this, and being a newbie to boot.

Cheers

Ian

Richie3336

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The photos I take of my work with my iPhone I text them to myself when I'm on wifi as my ipad is linked via iCloud and seems to work ok, I did however buy a third party card reader ,yes I know should have bought a better one but I'm a tight arse, and it was as much use as a chocolate fire guard, and as I needed the photos on my ipad for a potential client I text them to myself.

Most reactions

Latest posts