What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to transfer photos from iPhone to iPad

kerrymly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPhone and iPad, My iPhone have a lot of wonderful photos, but my iPhone memory not enough to use, so I would like to transfer my photos from my iPhone to my iPad, on the one hand.I can have enough iPhone memory space,on the other hand. watching photos more comfortable, because of the larger screen to watch on iPad,However.I tried it on, plug in cable, I can't transfer the photos from my iPhone to my iPad on computer, what I should do?How to transfer photos from iPhone to iPad?Whether you have any good methods to help me?thanks!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The camera connection kit or the Bump app are two possibilities.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another possibility is photostream. Also, if you have newish devices running iOS 7, then you can use Airdrop. You don't state what you have.

The Bump app works well.

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can enable photo stream, as pointed out, or email them to yourself and then save them in the iPad camera roll.

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
FYI - last time I checked, the Bump app did not transfer photos at full resolution. The iPhoto app has device to device transfer and you get it free with a new 2013 model iDevice. Photostream will work but it goes up to the cloud so you need a fast connection for a lot of photos. Same with Dropbox, Sugarsync, or any other cloud service.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another possibility is photostream. Also, if you have newish devices running iOS 7, then you can use Airdrop. You don't state what you have.

The Bump app works well.

Does Photostream work retroactively? If OP has existing photos on phone and wants to move them to iPad, what steps would he take on Photostream now?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an iPhone and iPad, My iPhone have a lot of wonderful photos.............

Hello - you've already received some excellent suggestions; I'll just add to the list - please checkout my post #6 in this THREAD - good luck and let us know your solution(s) - may help others. Dave :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does Photostream work retroactively? If OP has existing photos on phone and wants to move them to iPad, what steps would he take on Photostream now?

It used to have an upload folder on your PC. You copy photos into it and they flow to your devices. I'm not seeing it now...but I have not checked recently to see if that functionality is still there.

11/18/13 Edit. I was wondering if this functionality I mention above still existed as some parts of iCloud seem to have been updated over the past several months. But it seems it is still there, at least on my office PC running Win7. If you go into the My Pictures folder, then into the Photostream folder...there you will see three folders...My Photo Stream, Shared, and Uploads. In the My Photo Stream any image you take on an iDevice will land here in full resolution (remember, between devices, you don't get full resolution for some reason). The Shared folder is for sharing I imagine, but I have not used that. The third folder, named "Uploads", is there for moving photos out to your devices from your PC (I suppose on MAC too, but I have not checked). I use it for the purpose I have described. I don't know what the resolution of the transferred.

So, I don't think if you have old photos on one iDevice that they all get sync'ed once you turn on iCloud, but I honestly cannot remember if this happens or not. A sure way to get them where you want them is to take them from the photostream folder and copy them into the upload folder.

Photostream has always impressed me as a little nutty in operation. I mean, what goes where is not always clear. I know if I take a photo on my phone, those will show up on my other devices in the photostream folder/album. Likewise for my iPads. If you try to delete something in a photostream folder on an iDevice, you get a message saying that this photo will be deleted from photostream on all devices. But I don't think that removes that same photo from the original device's camera roll, just from its photostream. So as far as photostream is concerned, the original photo stays on the original device until you delete is from the camera roll.

As for retro operation...I really don't feel confident to answer as I can't start over. I guess one needs to look in the manual or go to the Apple website to see how this is supposed to work.

One more thing. It seems that Photostream is actually paying attention to the 1000 images shared thing that it was first said to have. For the longest time, at least on my systems, that was ignore. Or, perhaps because I have three iDevices I get 3 times 1000 images stored on my PC. Right now the folder says I have 3023 items on my PC. My 3nd Gen iPad has 970 images on the My Photostream album. It's the same on my iPad mini. I have 971 images on my 4S My Photo Stream album.

I'm sure this is all clear as mud. :)

Last edited:

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
It used to have an upload folder on your PC. You copy photos into it and they flow to your devices. I'm not seeing it now...but I have not checked recently to see if that functionality is still there.

Oh, yeah. Forgot about that since it never once worked for me. Would sure be handy if it did.

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really enjoy using the iPad/iPhone app Transfer. Works also on Windows and MAC PC's. This app has never let me down. Additionally, you can transfer your photos to another iPad/IPhone that has the app. Works great on WIFI, using no data.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
try iCloud: 1. Launch the Settings app from your iPhone. Scroll down to Photos & Camera. Under "Photo Stream," toggle "My Photo Stream" to ON so that all photos taken with your iPhone are synced to your other devices. 2. Do the same with your iPad, if you would like photos taken with your iPad to sync to your iPhone. 3. Make sure iCloud is connected to both devices by going to Settings >> iCloud. If you have the same Apple ID listed for the iCloud account, your photos will start syncing immediately.
Short addition:
Those that were added to Photos before enabling Photo Stream will not sync.

Hi, welcome to iPF!

blessbajoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

11/18/13 Edit. I was wondering if this functionality I mention above still existed as some parts of iCloud seem to have been updated over the past several months. But it seems it is still there, at least on my office PC running Win7. If you go into the My Pictures folder, then into the Photostream folder...there you will see three folders...My Photo Stream, Shared, and Uploads. In the My Photo Stream any image you take on an iDevice will land here in full resolution (remember, between devices, you don't get full resolution for some reason). The Shared folder is for sharing I imagine, but I have not used that. The third folder, named "Uploads", is there for moving photos out to your devices from your PC (I suppose on MAC too, but I have not checked). I use it for the purpose I have described. I don't know what the resolution of the transferred.

So, I don't think if you have old photos on one iDevice that they all get sync'ed once you turn on iCloud, but I honestly cannot remember if this happens or not. A sure way to get them where you want them is to take them from the photostream folder and copy them into the upload folder.

Photostream has always impressed me as a little nutty in operation. I mean, what goes where is not always clear. I know if I take a photo on my phone, those will show up on my other devices in the photostream folder/album. Likewise for my iPads. If you try to delete something in a photostream folder on an iDevice, you get a message saying that this photo will be deleted from photostream on all devices. But I don't think that removes that same photo from the original device's camera roll, just from its photostream. So as far as photostream is concerned, the original photo stays on the original device until you delete is from the camera roll.

As for retro operation...I really don't feel confident to answer as I can't start over. I guess one needs to look in the manual or go to the Apple website to see how this is supposed to work.

One more thing. It seems that Photostream is actually paying attention to the 1000 images shared thing that it was first said to have. For the longest time, at least on my systems, that was ignore. Or, perhaps because I have three iDevices I get 3 times 1000 images stored on my PC. Right now the folder says I have 3023 items on my PC. My 3nd Gen iPad has 970 images on the My Photostream album. It's the same on my iPad mini. I have 971 images on my 4S My Photo Stream album.

I'm sure this is all clear as mud. :)

This helped me! Thanks a lot :) :) :)

Most reactions

Latest posts