What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and Google News

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like Google News changed their format such that you can't enlarge the page with your fingers.

Or is it just me?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No doing the same to me.

On a brighter note the left pane doesn't scroll with the articles, and goes away entirely when you view in portrait mode. My guess is that they are redirecting mobile Safari to a tablet friendly (by their definition) page.

Which means it's time to experiment: . . .

Sure enough, when I use Atomic browser, set to identify itself as IE8, the page behaves normally.

Google has been optimizing a lot of it's pages for tablet browsers lately. I doubt it's entirely for our benefit. Android tablets will probably be redirected to the same pages by default. And like us, if they don't like the new pages they will start using browsers that can bypass them.

OP
N

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks!

Another case of "optimization" being the opposite of an improvement. I want to be able to expand the page so I can actually see the words without squinting. Well, it's not as bad as a Facebook "improvement".

Most reactions