IOS 9 Safari Google Searches

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by mike2874, Sep 29, 2015.

1. mike2874

mike2874
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure this must have changed with IOS 9 because I don't remember Safari Google search results ever having this small of text/font. You also used to be able to enlarge search results pages by squeezing, pinching or whatever it's called but you can't do that either.

Is there a workaround?

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Take a look at the top of your search results page and make sure you are actually getting Google results. Safari allows you to set four different default search engines.

Google
    Yahoo
    Bing
    DuckDuckGo

You can change your default search engine in Settings > Safari > Search Engine.

Both the Bing and DuckDuckGuck go sites have smaller text than Google's, and don't work with the pinch gesture (or the double tap to expand a column). No idea what they are doing with those sites that prevents the gestures, but it's the site, not iOS 9 that is stopping you from zooming in. Or it is if this is the issue.

If not, then we'll have to dig deeper.

Edit: You can't zoom image searches in Google. All the other searches should work as normal.

3. mike2874

mike2874
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Yes definitely using Google search in Safari.

Guess I'm a little confused are you saying with Safari Google search you've never been able to zoom the results page? If so then the font is smaller on the search results page since upgrading to IOS 9 because it is so much harder to read.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    No. For me the Google result page looks pretty much as it always has. Well, except for the new logo.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443585097.209068.jpg

Pinch to zoom works fine.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443585121.693324.jpg

As does double tap to zoom into a column of content.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443585137.274746.jpg

5. jwt873

jwt873
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I don't see any difference in text size. I even put my iPad 1 (iOS 5.1.1) next to my iPad Air and brought up the same search results. The text on the Air's retina display is a bit nicer, but size wise, the text is essentially the same.

6. mike2874

mike2874
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hmm wonder why I no longer can pinch to zoom on Google results page since updating to IOS 9?

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Try going to Settings > Safari and clear history and data. The reset the iPad (hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears).

It's possible you are pulling up Google results in some non-standard page. Clearing data and history should stop that. If it's a glitch with Safari, then the reset should fix that.

8. mike2874

mike2874
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks twerppoet clearing Safari's history & data then resetting seemed to do the trick. Text is back to normal size and pinch to zoom now works from Google search page results.

Google Chome search results has the same issues although fortunately I don't use it much. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app but that didn't help not sure why it didn't.

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad it worked for you in Safari.

I don't use Chrome much, but I gave it a try. I was unable to duplicate your issue. Tried Google search signed in, signed out, and in incognito mode. All modes let me pinch to zoom and double tap zoom.

You can clear the catches in Chrome. Tap the vertical three dot icon at the top right, then History, then at the bottom of the screen you will see Clear Browsing Data. Tap on it then choose Clear All from the top box.

If it worked in Safari, maybe it will work for Chrome.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443742006.887466.jpg

10. Lila24

Lila24
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I have tried clearing history and resetting ipad, and still have the same problem of being unable to adjust text size on the Google results page. If I try to pinch inward first it will then allow me to pinch outward and enlarge, but will spring back to the original size as soon as I let go, and often it will not only spring back but also kick me out of that particular window and go to the overview of open windows. I would appreciate any insights on this problem. Thank you!