What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air (iPad 5 A1474) Not charging

SteveJobs1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

New member here, so first of all, hello and thanks for having me ;)

I have a dead ipad air A1474 (I believe this is also referred to as the ipad 5) I have tried holding the home and lock button for extended periods of time and I have tried putting the ipad in DFU mode. Neither worked.

I recently borrowed a friends USB power meter and got the attached readings, which, as you can see, are very low. Having looked at various forums, I'm thinking it could be either the port, the battery, or this U2 IC chip that I've heard about.

Before anyone says it, I've taken it to the Apple shop and they told me I'd bent it. I would upload a pic of how not bent it is, but I don't want to waste my time uploading a pic of a flat ipad (it isn't bent). Even if it was bent, I've seen phones like bananas that have continued to work.

Any one else experienced this? Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Scott
IMG-20170603-WA0004.jpeg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your problem is caused by any of the potential faults you listed, an Apple Store Genius Bar should have found the cause. Have you considered going back when someone else is on duty?

OP
S

SteveJobs1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you both for your reply.

I know it's petty, but I'm not a huge apple fan as it is and the level of service I received hasn't helped.

Rightly or wrongly, I'd rather give my custom to a small business. I've sent it to a guy with great feedback on eBay for a no win no fee repair.

It was sort of a gift so I've not really got anything to lose :/

I'll let you know the result

Thanks again
Scott

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey Scott welcome to the forum man. Hopefully you'll get your iPad Air fixed and back soon so thanks in advance for letting us know the outcome. And if it does get fixed and you do end up using it some, please stick around and check out some of the iPad forums here for tips and tricks as these tablets can really be quite useful.

Btw I had a 1st gen 12.9 that did bend and the only thing that was affected was the Apple Smart Keyboard as it was very inconsistent when typing. It was magnetically connected but not all 3 pin connectors always made connection. Thank goodness for AppleCare. Oh and to this day I have no ide how the thing got bent? See photos below.

Welcome Again,
Mickey

2016-04-16 10.24.58.jpg
2016-04-16 10.25.04.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts