iPad 64GB WiFi problems (cannot connect)

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by BikerThomas, Apr 16, 2010.

1. slothead

slothead
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Hey Wingman, Good luck with it all. I am quite suspicious that there is very probably a fault within your iPad, but there is no way I could troubleshoot that. With all of the iPads out there by now ther HAVE to be some faulty devices.

What got my attention was your location ("bumpass, VA") and the fact that you are most likely a naval aviator with the username "w1ngman" So you have my sympathies and my support on two accounts.

Take care and good luck,
    Tom

2. Renshi

Renshi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    We tried everything, we finally bought an apple router.. Everything has worked awesome since.

3. aramb

aramb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I am having similiar problems as posted earlier, except that they didn't start UNTIL upgrading to OS 4.2. The iPad shows a good, strong wifi connection, but Safari says it is not connected to the internet. I have disabled Autofill Names & Passwords in Safari, I have disable Auto Brightness control. I do note that the IP address is all screwed up. If I do a reset of network settings, it will reconnect to the wifi network and all is good for about 8-12 hours. When I get up the next morning, same problem and a weird IP address. Reset all network settings, reconnect to the network and I'm good to go again. But c'mon... this is really a bunch of crap to have to go through every time you want to log on to the internet.

I have been to the Apple store multiple times and it connects flawlessly there and they tell me its a router problem. Somehow, I don't think so. Any suggestions?

4. Renaud

Renaud
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I had that problem maybe after upgrading os. I finally deleted my wifi network then rejoined it again. Safari would open web pages after that. The problem is also evident with my netcom 3g wifi modem. I have low wifi here so I will need to try this fix again after I get to a place of signal.

5. aramb

aramb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Same problem today (again)... except I was able to connect by just turning OFF and back ON the WIFI switch under Settings>Wifi Networks.

What the heck?

Do I need a different router? I am running a Linksys WRT160n v2 with current firmware.

6. Teyrn

Teyrn
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I have been reading through these threads as I have similar problem "cannot connect to internet" although nice strong wifi signal...

I think this is definitely a router problem because; I got an iPhone 4 earlier this year it connects fine to my home router and most other public places, but my works router is about 5 years old and my phone will not connect to it. It sees the wifi and strong signal showing but go to safari and you get the cant connect msg.

I recently got an iPad and guess what? yes it connects everywhere fine just the same as the phone, I bring it to work and same old problem exactly as the phone.

Which leads me to believe that if the router is not relatively new for some reason it struggles to connect. I dont think it is a hardware fault within the phone or iPad seems too coincidental...

This is just my thoughts tho...

Maybe a router/access point guru can come up with something :)

7. pharihar

pharihar
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have the same problem. I got my iPad in October, and as long as it was on OS3.x, it worked JUST FINE. I upgraded to the new OS 4.2.1, and since then, I have intermittent connectivity issues. It connects to my home network, and works for a while; after a few minutes, it stops working. I called Apple Support, and they had me reboot my wireless router, which seemed to fix it, but within an hour or so, it was back to the same problem. I've looked at the Apple support discussion forums, and it looks like a problem only with this OS. I've also checked my Wireless router to ensure it is setup as per Apple's recommendations (WPA vs WEP, etc), and thats all fine. But the problem persists. Anyone have any idea if Apple intends to FIX this problem with a new OS update??

8. Redjellydonut

Redjellydonut
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Same here: strong wifi signal on my macBook, iPhone, and iPad, but it's the iPad that loses connection every 15 minutes or so. It started with the update to 4.2. Several solutions seem to work. First is to turn wireless off, the back on. The quickest way for me is to renew the lease in the wifi settings screen. It appears to create a new ip address every time but it gives me access to the Internet and email for a while. Good luck.

9. bb2

bb2
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Had same problem myself. Solution was to insert a proper DNS address in the config file - not using the router's address. A good test to see if you have a DNS problem is to put a suitable IP address in safari's address bar - not a URL. eg put 66dot249dot89dot99 instead of googledotcodotnz (or your equivalent at your location).[ Being a noob I'm not allowed to insert links] Make sure your router has a valid DNS address also.

10. LoveRem36

LoveRem36
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Modem/iPads

What you say makes sense, however, my modem is only 2 months old, so it probably is not the reason for it not connecting to the internet.
    I just spent 1 1/2 hrs. on the phone and website on my IP's chat line.
    They tell me they don't work with Apple products, they are only trained for PCs so that says a lot to me, however, they gave me access to all the information I might need and gave me Apple's phone number and said they will troubleshoot it and they probably will ask for the info. they gave me.
    At first I had the internet, but I couldn't get my email connected, now neither does. Tomorrow I will call Apple and let you know what they say.