What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 5 to be thinner and lighter, could have iPad mini design specs

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On a poll on the forum, I seem to vaguely remember 64GB models doing well, and initially iPad sales figures a long while back had people buying 16GBs and 64GBs most heavily. I've not seen sales figures since, probably because Apple doesn't usually offer them to the public by storage.

I always buys the most storage available, for convenience's sake.

With apps getting bigger and bigger, and iOS versions getting beefier as well, along with higher resolutions for various movies and images, storage will be increasingly in demand.

Streaming and cloud offer users flexibility, but don't meet all user needs. For my uses, more storage will always be better.

I could not agree more, as long as funds permit. Additional memory adds flexibility which is enabling.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I've had unlimited data from the debut of iPad 1's 3G model, and AT&T has allowed grandfathering, so I still have unlimited. I have unlimited on my cell phone as well. I like to have maximum convenience, so have not bothered with tethering or my-fi. I also don't use public wifi because I can't control its security.

I will use it depending on what I am doing and the location of the public wifi. Definitely no banking browsing or transactions on any public wifi. Verizon has only had the iPhone since early 2011 and later on the iPad. Unlimited data has since been killed off and is only grandfathered on my iPhone. Unlimited data would have been sweet on my iPad. I tether w my iPhone when I need data and not at home on wifiI.

via paid tethering plan, also can use it on other devices.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

sally190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
Actually, storage is a fairly big issue for people from what I read and hear. The key is that it costs a good buck to get lots of storage as evident by the up charge between iPad models going from 32gb to 64gb.

How cool would a 256gb iPad be? :D

I have an ipad2 16gb. I have bought an ipad4 64 gb because I ran out of room , mainly with music. Yes the ipad4 is a little faster and a little clearer;the camera is much better. But , if I hadn't wanted more storage, I would be happy with the ipad2 .

FlavioSousa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is wonderful and we all love it but shouldn't they be focusing their energies and resources in new products?

Anyway, I hope #5 is a success. Longer lasting batteries and more versatility (maybe a USB port?) would be nice.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whatever features Apple decides to add to the next iPad, it's unlikely that a USB port will be among them.

MILJAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That rumor about teaner iPad for my experience means heating problem, unless they will make cpu in 22 nm process

Sent from my iPad 4

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for commenting on all of our posts lol. I didn't realize the demand for the 64GB was so low. Seems like almost everyone on this site has one. For your 4G service do you have a separate plan for your iPad or do you have a share plan and how often do you use home and / or public wifi??

I use wi-fi at home, but when visiting family or at work I use 4G. Since my cell phone is just this side of a bag phone (despite being fairly young, I've got this crazy idea that phones are for making calls), so I've got just the 4G plan on the iPad. Actually, I considered it important enough that I had 4G before Apple offered it - my previous iPad, I used a 4G mi-fi device.

On a poll on the forum, I seem to vaguely remember 64GB models doing well, and initially iPad sales figures a long while back had people buying 16GBs and 64GBs most heavily. I've not seen sales figures since, probably because Apple doesn't usually offer them to the public by storage.

I'm going to call forum bias on that one - enthusiasts are more prone to owning the top models, but they're a small portion of the market overall. According to acquaintances at both Apple stores close to me, the 16GB and 32GB wi-fi models are the first to go, with 64GB models usually selling to people desperate to get an iPad once the smaller models are sold out. I asked because the last two times I've bought my 64GB models, they've been surprised someone wanted one. And people I've spoken to that try to sell on 64GB models seem to have trouble getting good prices - people point out they can get a 16GB for less, like the extra space means little to them.

If I'm honest, I could get by with less - I just prefer to have my data available regadless of conditions, rather than relying on clouds and such. Even with a 128GB model, I'd still bring my AirStash and SD cards along.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is wonderful and we all love it but shouldn't they be focusing their energies and resources in new products?

Anyway, I hope #5 is a success. Longer lasting batteries and more versatility (maybe a USB port?) would be nice.

Why do you think they can't be working on new products, too? The company has billions at its disposal. Surely they can figure out how to work on a variety of products at the same time. It's not like it's a handful of guys working in a garage,

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use wi-fi at home, but when visiting family or at work I use 4G. Since my cell phone is just this side of a bag phone (despite being fairly young, I've got this crazy idea that phones are for making calls), so I've got just the 4G plan on the iPad. Actually, I considered it important enough that I had 4G before Apple offered it - my previous iPad, I used a 4G mi-fi device.

I'm going to call forum bias on that one - enthusiasts are more prone to owning the top models, but they're a small portion of the market overall. According to acquaintances at both Apple stores close to me, the 16GB and 32GB wi-fi models are the first to go, with 64GB models usually selling to people desperate to get an iPad once the smaller models are sold out. I asked because the last two times I've bought my 64GB models, they've been surprised someone wanted one. And people I've spoken to that try to sell on 64GB models seem to have trouble getting good prices - people point out they can get a 16GB for less, like the extra space means little to them.

If I'm honest, I could get by with less - I just prefer to have my data available regadless of conditions, rather than relying on clouds and such. Even with a 128GB model, I'd still bring my AirStash and SD cards along.

The forum bias is entirely possible, but that doesn't explain away the original sales numbers running high on 16 and 64. I wouldn't go by anecdotal evidence for sales, either.

Personally, I don't care which is popular; I just buy what fits my uses and pocketbook, and I'd expect that everyone else does, too.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whatever features Apple decides to add to the next iPad, it's unlikely that a USB port will be among them.

No, I wouldn't expect a USB port from Apple. That's why I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab on order.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
FlavioSousa said:

They are going to focus on the current money maker...

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:

No way. Apple doesn't do USB drives or any of that stuff. There wouldn't be an easy way to control what was being swapped between the iPad and the USB. Just doesn't fit into the walled garden paradigm. That's OK though. We all know what to expect with apple and I'm used to it. :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No way. Apple doesn't do USB drives or any of that stuff. There wouldn't be an easy way to control what was being swapped between the iPad and the USB. Just doesn't fit into the walled garden paradigm. That's OK though. We all know what to expect with apple and I'm used to it. :)

Strange...my MacBook Air has two usb ports, so your notion that Apple doesn't do USB drives or any of that stuff is a bit off. I, for one, prefer not to have usb ports sticking out of an otherwise thin device. And even without usb, apple can't control what I put on my iPad. If you want usb, get an Android, but you'd better hurry, cause more of and more of them are coming without the ability to transfer files via USB. Witness the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 10, neither have usb support for other than charging. Also, the Asus Infinity Pad (you have to use the 30-pin connector, a $20 add on). These are some of the top, most powerful Android tablets.

MILJAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Strange...my MacBook Air has two usb ports, so your notion that Apple doesn't do USB drives or any of that stuff is a bit off. I, for one, prefer not to have usb ports sticking out of an otherwise thin device. And even without usb, apple can't control what I put on my iPad. If you want usb, get an Android, but you'd better hurry, cause more of and more of them are coming without the ability to transfer files via USB. Witness the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 10, neither have usb support for other than charging. Also, the Asus Infinity Pad (you have to use the 30-pin connector, a $20 add on). These are some of the top, most powerful Android tablets.

I agree absolutely.

Sent from my iPad 4

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want usb, get an Android, but you'd better hurry, cause more of and more of them are coming without the ability to transfer files via USB. Witness the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 10, neither have usb support for other than charging. Also, the Asus Infinity Pad (you have to use the 30-pin connector, a $20 add on). These are some of the top, most powerful Android tablets.

Yes, that's why I ruled out buying such tablets.

Most reactions

Latest posts