What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 5 to be thinner and lighter, could have iPad mini design specs

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nakedbabytoes said:
I personally would like to see Apple stick with yearly releases(before the holidays schedule) and make BIGGER upgrades between device gens. Seem like the increments in improvements are so tiny on a 6 mos schedule. You can only improve so much in such a short time and make it from R&D to manufacture line to stores. I think you basically gain nothing market wise by smaller improvements which tend to make people skip gens(or two)instead of upgrading with each. And with tablets, you don't get the cheaper cost of a device being part of a cell plan like you do with iPhones. Tablets are just pure cost to the buyer.
I dunno. I guess you get buyers that offset each gen. Like say, I have a 3 but wouldn't consider an upgrade until the 5. But there are some 2 users that got the 4s and if that pattern continued, might get a 6 that I would skip since I got a 5. But my thinking is that if each gen is substantially better than the last but yearly, most buyers wouldn't skip every other. So you get the same really, but apple incurs less cost in manufacturing & R&D the smaller device increments.

I agree with you. I bought this pad just before thanksgiving and now another new one in 3 months!!! The all black ipad would have been cool, too!! It seems that the gap between upgrades is getting smaller and smaller, 5 months after 4 there will be a 5??? All of these new releases are to keep us spending our $$$ and to attract new customers. They knew what they were doing, they could have designed the mini w retina display the first time. They are Apple, they can do anything they want!!!

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
epb said:
I tend to skip a generation unless there's a killer upgrade that I want. I didn't need the camera that was the chief upgrade of the iPad 2, but I definitely wanted the 4G speed of the iPad 3 (really, I still see almost no impact from the Retina display with my apps). I didn't bother with the 4 and I can't see moving to the 5 unless Apple increases the storage, which I don't see them doing since that's not a priority for most customers.

Is the 4G really that super fast? I haven't tried it yet as my 4 is wifi only and I tether w 3G w my iPhone 4 hotspot when I need.

andytvcams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only way Apple will get away with bringing out yet another ipad in March is if it is a totally different design. In the USA they have just done a survey of X number of die hard Apple fans and much to everybody's surprise 43% were not happy with the idea of Apple releasing a ipad every six months. and should they launch one that is not a great deal of difference than the last two then i think it will just kill off the dominance of the market. three ipads in twelve months is just taking the p**s. Their was and still is a lot of ipad 3 owners that are still unhappy about the ipad 4 and that was after seven months can you imagine the uproar that will happen for those who have just got the ipad 4 then three months later Apple come along with a ipad 5?.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only way Apple will get away with bringing out yet another ipad in March is if it is a totally different design. In the USA they have just done a survey of X number of die hard Apple fans and much to everybody's surprise 43% were not happy with the idea of Apple releasing a ipad every six months. and should they launch one that is not a great deal of difference than the last two then i think it will just kill off the dominance of the market. three ipads in twelve months is just taking the p**s. Their was and still is a lot of ipad 3 owners that are still unhappy about the ipad 4 and that was after seven months can you imagine the uproar that will happen for those who have just got the ipad 4 then three months later Apple come along with a ipad 5?.

Well, I can't buy a new one after 4 months lol. Where did I get this info? I would ha ve taken the survey.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I can't buy a new one after 4 months lol. Where did I get this info? I would ha ve taken the survey.

Meant to say where did YOU get this info. Ugghhh.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually, storage is a fairly big issue for people from what I read and hear. The key is that it costs a good buck to get lots of storage as evident by the up charge between iPad models going from 32gb to 64gb.

How cool would a 256gb iPad be? :D

Why stop at 256G why not go for 1TB!!!!!

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually, storage is a fairly big issue for people from what I read and hear. The key is that it costs a good buck to get lots of storage as evident by the up charge between iPad models going from 32gb to 64gb. How cool would a 256gb iPad be?

The Flash memory is a large part of the cash cow that is the iPad's insane profit margins. Truth is, they could move to 32/64/128 as the spread and still make a healthy chunk of change. They haven't bothered because the low percentage of 64GB models sold tells them demand isn't there, and because... well, you never give a sucker an even break. People are paying top dollar for less, so why offer more?

Is the 4G really that super fast? I haven't tried it yet as my 4 is wifi only and I tether w 3G w my iPhone 4 hotspot when I need

I use the AT&T service and it's wonderfully fast and it's more useful now that I've installed iOS6, which frees up some of the services that were blocked previously.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
epb said:
The Flash memory is a large part of the cash cow that is the iPad's insane profit margins. Truth is, they could move to 32/64/128 as the spread and still make a healthy chunk of change. They haven't bothered because the low percentage of 64GB models sold tells them demand isn't there, and because... well, you never give a sucker an even break. People are paying top dollar for less, so why offer more?

I use the AT&T service and it's wonderfully fast and it's more useful now that I've installed iOS6, which frees up some of the services that were blocked previously.

Thanks for commenting on all of our posts lol. I didn't realize the demand for the 64GB was so low. Seems like almost everyone on this site has one. For your 4G service do you have a separate plan for your iPad or do you have a share plan and how often do you use home and / or public wifi??

Happy New Year btw!!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for commenting on all of our posts lol. I didn't realize the demand for the 64GB was so low. Seems like almost everyone on this site has one. For your 4G service do you have a separate plan for your iPad or do you have a share plan and how often do you use home and / or public wifi??

Happy New Year btw!!

Hmm...good point!

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Hmm...good point!

I know, I bought the 64 so I won't run out of space and have to buy (or do without) another iPad to accommodate my need for more storage. So far my 2 has 50GB of storage available after 1 year and almost 5 mos and as some of you guys know I take tons of pics of Miles on my iPhone which populate my iPads along w tons of apps. Coil be be cuz I don't have any movies on it.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On a poll on the forum, I seem to vaguely remember 64GB models doing well, and initially iPad sales figures a long while back had people buying 16GBs and 64GBs most heavily. I've not seen sales figures since, probably because Apple doesn't usually offer them to the public by storage.

I always buys the most storage available, for convenience's sake.

With apps getting bigger and bigger, and iOS versions getting beefier as well, along with higher resolutions for various movies and images, storage will be increasingly in demand.

Streaming and cloud offer users flexibility, but don't meet all user needs. For my uses, more storage will always be better.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
On a poll on the forum, I seem to vaguely remember 64GB models doing well, and initially iPad sales figures a long while back had people buying 16GBs and 64GBs most heavily. I've not seen sales figures since, probably because Apple doesn't usually offer them to the public by storage.

I always buys the most storage available, for convenience's sake.

With apps getting bigger and bigger, and iOS versions getting beefier as well, along with higher resolutions for various movies and images, storage will be increasingly in demand.

Streaming and cloud offer users flexibility, but don't meet all user needs. For my uses, more storage will always be better.

However, IF, I decide to buy a mini (for pocketbook) I might only buy a 16GB for cost and since I would then have 2 additional iPads which are already at 64GBs.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For your 4G service do you have a separate plan for your iPad or do you have a share plan and how often do you use home and / or public wifi??

I've had unlimited data from the debut of iPad 1's 3G model, and AT&T has allowed grandfathering, so I still have unlimited. I have unlimited on my cell phone as well. I like to have maximum convenience, so have not bothered with tethering or my-fi. I also don't use public wifi because I can't control its security.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
However, IF, I decide to buy a mini (for pocketbook) I might only buy a 16GB for cost and since I would then have 2 additional iPads which are already at 64GBs.

I figure everyone should buy according to their own needs and budget.

For me, it's 64GB on every iPad, iPhone and touch.

Most reactions

Latest posts