What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad 4 will not connect to wifi

PennyM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried repeatedly to fix this problem which began yesterday.

1. The iPad shows that it is connected, but when I tap on an app. I just cannot connect to it. I recently updated the iOS as it kept telling me to do it, but now I am wondering if this has caused the problem.

2. I have reset the network

3. I have shut down the iPad and rebooted

4. I have tried switching on the VPN ( a tip somewhere else)

Nothing happens!

There are 3 other iPads in the room and they all work perfectly but not the iPad 4.

Has anyone any advice for me?

PennyM

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Penny - I would suggest that you 'power cycle' your modem and router (may be an all in one device - don't know) - but simply turn off the power (or unplug the power packs), wait about 30 secs or more, then re-power the modem first followed by the router - let us know if this suggestion helps. Dave :)

OP
P

PennyM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Dave. I have tried your suggestion but the iPad still is not connected to the internet. In this room there are the following: 2 iPad 4s, 2 ipad minis, my iPhone and two laptops (both windows. I began to wonder if we had too many devices connected so I switched most off to see if that would help, but my iPad 4 still will not connect although the icon and the wifi box says it is connected. It is a complete mystery and I just cannot think what else to do.

OP
P

PennyM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have only one router in our house and I cannot get out today to test it anywhere else, unfortunately. I am writing this reply on my mini right next to the iPad which refuses to connect!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
We have only one router in our house and I cannot get out today to test it anywhere else, unfortunately. I am writing this reply on my mini right next to the iPad which refuses to connect!

Hi again Penny - agree w/ Scifan..., i.e. when you do get a chance test out the problematic iPad somewhere else - friend's house, coffee shop, or some other Wi-Fi hotspot.

So, you've: Restarted the iPad and reset the network settings - did you also go into the Wi-Fi settings and select the network's name (SSID) and forget it? Also, did you 'Reset' the iPad, i.e. pressing both the HOME & ON-OFF buttons until the Apple logo appears, release and let the device reboot?

Please provide more information on your home network, i.e. ISP being used, type of connection (e.g. cable, DSP, satellite, or other), router brand/model/age, and same for the modem (if you have two separate devices as I do on TW); does your router broadcast more than one network (I use an Apple AirPort Extreme router which sends our 4 networks, two personal ones & two guest ones at both 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz)? If so, try to connect to another SSID in your home. I'm assuming your network is password protected (e.g. WPA2) - if so, could that be an issue? Let me stop there and please post back. Dave :)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
  • Go to Settings > Wi-Fi, tap the (i) icon next to the connection and forget it. (Or go to Settings > General > Reset, and Reset Network Connections)
  • Turn off the router.
  • Reset the iPad.
  • Turn the router back on.
  • When both iPad and Router are back on, rejoin the network.

This is the most complete way I know of to force your iPad to clear network issues. And yes, it often fixes issues when that iPad is the only device on the network that is not working.

Good luck.

OP
P

PennyM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
  • Go to Settings > Wi-Fi, tap the (i) icon next to the connection and forget it. (Or go to Settings > General > Reset, and Reset Network Connections)
  • Turn off the router.
  • Reset the iPad.
  • Turn the router back on.
  • When both iPad and Router are back on, rejoin the network.
This is the most complete way I know of to force your iPad to clear network issues. And yes, it often fixes issues when that iPad is the only device on the network that is not working.

Good luck.

OP
P

PennyM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I just thank all of you for your great help in trying to solve my problem. A chap I know told me to go to this link:
iPhone or iPad can't connect to WiFi - How to fix the problem

I hope this link works as this is where I found a reasonably simple solution.

Go to privacy>>location services>>Wi_Fi Networking and switch this off. It does not switch off WiFi but the GPS.

i did this and now the iPad is working again. I do not know the whats and the whys but now I I can use my iPad.

I hope this solution is of some help to others.

Once again thank you for all your useful advice.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can I just thank all of you for your great help in trying to solve my problem. A chap I know told me to go to this link:

Go to privacy>>location services>>Wi_Fi Networking and switch this off. It does not switch off WiFi but the GPS.

i did this and now the iPad is working again. I do not know the whats and the whys but now I I can use my iPad.

Hi again Penny - great that you found a 'fix' - I looked @ that link closely and believe we suggested nearly all of those potential solutions except the one you used - also tried to 'google' what disabling Wi-Fi Networking might mean and whether there would be a difference between a Wi-Fi only iPad vs. one w/ Cellular (not sure which model you own?) - not a whole lot of luck except the issue of turning off the feature is mentioned often as a potential Wi-Fi solution - thanks for the link and posting back. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

I hope this link works as this is where I found a reasonably simple solution.

I hope this solution is of some help to others.

Once again thank you for all your useful advice.

Interesting. That is the first time I've heard of that fix. While I can make some guesses about why it worked, they would be really speculative guesses.

To be clear this setting does not "turn off" the GPS. It prevents the Wi-Fi Networking service from using Location services. The distinction is important in two ways.

First Location Services exist on all iOS devices. The GPS on cellular devices just make the service more accurate and reliable.

Second, this only affects other services and apps that depend on the Wi-Fi Network service, and in a limited way. Exactly what that means, I am not sure, because I'm not sure what the Wi-Fi Network service does; apart from letting you use the internet, apparently. However, it probably won't affect most other apps or services that still have, and depend on, Location services being turned on; like Maps, Google Maps, Find My iPas, Yelp, etc.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting. That is the first time I've heard of that fix. While I can make some guesses about why it worked, they would be really speculative guesses.

To be clear this setting does not "turn off" the GPS. It prevents the Wi-Fi Networking service from using Location services. The distinction is important in two ways.

First Location Services exist on all iOS devices. The GPS on cellular devices just make the service more accurate and reliable.

Second, this only affects other services and apps that depend on the Wi-Fi Network service, and in a limited way. Exactly what that means, I am not sure, because I'm not sure what the Wi-Fi Network service does; apart from letting you use the internet, apparently. However, it probably won't affect most other apps or services that still have, and depend on, Location services being turned on; like Maps, Google Maps, Find My iPas, Yelp, etc.

Hi TP - I agree completely and spent a half hour yesterday googling Wi-Fi Networking Location Service and could find a number of references about turning off this feature w/ Wi-Fi connection issues but never a clear explanation as to 'why' this disabled setting should help - I'm still somewhat baffled? I believe that w/ this feature enabled, the iPad is simply broadcasting its presence to help in location servicing - not sure how this really impacts on connecting to a local Wi-Fi network? Dave :)

OP
P

PennyM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

My iPad is a wifi only model if that is helpful information.

PennyM

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

My iPad is a wifi only model if that is helpful information.

Hi again Penny - the Wi-Fi only iPads still use a number of location methods (just not cellular or GPS) - I was doing some more searching and found the information quoted below from HERE, which was pretty much our understanding, i.e. Wi-Fi networking being used for aiding location services; still does not adequately explain why disabling this service would permit connection to a Wi-Fi router - BUT, if it worked for you, then great! Thanks for the added info - Dave :)

Wi-Fi networking: This feature, much like Cell Network Search, simply sends information to Apple about nearby Wi-Fi networks so that Apple can improve its own products and features. This option has hardly any use to you, so you might as well disable it if you value your privacy.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again Penny - the Wi-Fi only iPads still use a number of location methods (just not cellular or GPS) - I was doing some more searching and found the information quoted below from HERE, which was pretty much our understanding, i.e. Wi-Fi networking being used for aiding location services; still does not adequately explain why disabling this service would permit connection to a Wi-Fi router - BUT, if it worked for you, then great! Thanks for the added info - Dave :)

I kind of disagree with the quote from your source. Not about what the service does, but the conclusion. (yes, I know it is not your oppinion, but I felt a need to nitpick anyway)

First, the data collecte is annonymous, never associated with your Apple ID or iOS device. Of course it is possible (in the sense that anything is possible) that Apple is lying, but if they are the location data is the least of our problems.

Second, if everyone turns this off then location accuracy for Wi-Fi only iOS devices is going to suffer. The database created with this information is the primary location method used for devices without a GPS. Ironically, it is the devices with a GPS that contribute the most to the service.

Of course, if the service is breaking your internet, then the second hand benifit of contributing to a more accurate location service is moot.

Most reactions

Latest posts