What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 4 Still Being Sold in 2017

Tommy96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0014.jpg So, I was checking out prices on Argos' (UK retail chain) wesbsite and I was surprised that they're still selling iPad 4s. Ok, they're refurbished, but I wonder what their shelf life would be? And they're expensive. Check out the screenshot.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 75994 View attachment 75994 So, I was checking out prices on Argos' (UK retail chain) wesbsite and I was surprised that they're still selling iPad 4s. Ok, they're refurbished, but I wonder what their shelf life would be? And they're expensive. Check out the screenshot.
Considering that the iPad 4 was first introduced almost 4 1/2 years ago, the technology is quite dated by modern standards. There's a good chance that iOS 10 will be the last iOS update available for the model. If you're looking for something for the long term, a more recent iPad would be a better choice. Also, you don't know exactly what they mean by refurbished. It could be anything from a simple cleaning to a full rebuild with a new case, screen and battery. An extensively used iPad 4 could easily have a battery that's at or near the end of its useful lifespan.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tommy96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Considering that the iPad 4 was first introduced almost 4 1/2 years ago, the technology is quoted dated by modern standards. There's a good chance that iOS 10 will be the last iOS update available for the model. If you're looking for something for the long term, a more recent iPad would be a better choice. Also, you don't know exactly what they mean by refurbished. It could be anything from a simple cleaning to a full rebuild with a new case, screen and battery. An extensively used iPad 4 could easily have a battery that's at or near the end of its useful lifespan.

I have an Air 1 and a Mini 4 (32gb cellular). However, I check out prices from time to time. I'll probably upgrade my Air 1 either this year or early next year.

I was just surprised to see the iPad 4 for sale by a major retailer.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is not really that supprising considering apple still has and is selling the iPad Mini 2 witch is another old device since the mini 4 came out.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is not really that supprising considering apple still has and is selling the iPad Mini 2 witch is another old device since the mini 4 came out.
Apple is keeping the Mini 2 as the entry level iPad Mini. The iPad Mini 3 has been discontinued and is no longer sold by Apple. The refurbished iPad 4 units sold by that company have been acquired as used devices and refurbished by them before being sold.

OP
T

Tommy96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple is keeping the Mini 2 as the entry level iPad Mini. The iPad Mini 3 has been discontinued and is no longer sold by Apple. The refurbished iPad 4 units sold by that company have been acquired as used devices and refurbished by them before being sold.

The price for this refurbished iPad 4 is a bit steep, imo. £329/$412 for an obsolete device is expensive, especially when you can buy a new, 32gb Air 2 for a bit extra - £379/$475.

Attachments

• IMG_2814.JPG
    IMG_2814.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 265

Most reactions

Latest posts