What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First iPad! Need help!

c0t0paxi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello!

I haven't purchased an Apple product since the early iTouch generation lol, so I'm out of the loop in the Apple World. That being said I plan to purchase a USED or REFURBISHED iPad Mini 4 off Amazon and had a few questions before committing.

1) After purchasing the used product, what can I do to ensure that the iPad Mini 4 I purchased is 100% an iPad Mini 4 and that is it NOT stolen? Will this link officially confirm of its model & that its a "clean title"?
Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

2) What should I check to ensure that its in working condition? And how (is there a specific/fool-proof method of assessing the iPad?)
-Display/Screen
-Speakers
-GPS, Finger sensor, etc.
-Cameras
-Microphone & Siri
Am I missing anything else to assess?

3) I've had good luck with purchasing off Amazon's USED section especially if the dealer has hundreds of 5 star reviews and >95% positivity. But there's always a risk, do you trust these when it comes to iPads/Apple products?

4) I'd prefer a "Used - Like New" or "New" a lot more than a "Refurbished" condition iPad; what are you thoughts? Again, I'm pretty noobie when it comes to electronics & esp Apple products.

5) I'm aware that the iPad Mini 5 is suppose to come out in the near future, but I'm willing to buy it within this week. Is a 16 GB WiFi+Cellular iPad Mini 4 for ~$300-320 or 64 GB W+C for ~$400 a good price for a Used-Like New or Refurbished iPad?

Thank you ! Can't want to get back into the Apple game!

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You pose a lot of questions, but do keep in mind that if you bought a refurbished iPad from Apple, it would not only be not stolen, it would be fully tested, working and come with a warranty.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Jupiter beat me to a similar response; first, I'm not going to answer all of your questions - second, I buy from Amazon on a weekly (or more) basis (just ordered 4 CDs today); and third, if I wanted a 'used' or 'refurb' iPad, I would first look on the Apple website - just was there and found a perfect 64 GB Wi-Fi iPad Mini 4 (see pic below - LINK) - whether you also want 'cellular' is a decision only you can make - lastly, I would NOT buy a 16 GB iPad at this point. Hope this gets you started - Dave

P.S. Apple gives you a 1-year warranty on their 'refurb' products which you can extend w/ AppleCare, if desired (for myself, I buy AppleCare on all of my purchases).
Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 3.43.35 PM.png

Wing rider

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Best Buy often has "Open Box" and Refurbished I-devices at a somewhat lower price than new.

OP
C

c0t0paxi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Jupiter beat me to a similar response; first, I'm not going to answer all of your questions - second, I buy from Amazon on a weekly (or more) basis (just ordered 4 CDs today); and third, if I wanted a 'used' or 'refurb' iPad, I would first look on the Apple website - just was there and found a perfect 64 GB Wi-Fi iPad Mini 4 (see pic below - LINK) - whether you also want 'cellular' is a decision only you can make - lastly, I would NOT buy a 16 GB iPad at this point. Hope this gets you started - Dave

P.S. Apple gives you a 1-year warranty on their 'refurb' products which you can extend w/ AppleCare, if desired (for myself, I buy AppleCare on all of my purchases).
View attachment 76529

I forgot to mention the reason for wanting the iPad mini 4 specifically. So I want to use it to fly my drone and the controller ONLY fits the iPad minis.

Thanks for letting me know about the Apple refurb store; it appears the mini 4 is currently out of stock. Was wondering how often the Apple refurb store replenishes their iPads (daily? weekly?).

OP
C

c0t0paxi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

View attachment 76529

Unfortunately these are sold out :(...that ~$300 is like click bait

Has anyone tried Swappa?

I think my biggest concern of getting it from Amazon (or Swappa) is that the original user can "lock" the device at anytime & whenever they want??? Is that true? And after doing some research there's no way Apple can "undo" the "unlock" unless I purchased it from Apple themselves, correct?

BTW The drone is DJI Mavic Pro & the app is DJI Go4.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Has anyone tried Swappa?

I think my biggest concern of getting it from Amazon (or Swappa) is that the original user can "lock" the device at anytime & whenever they want??? Is that true? And after doing some research there's no way Apple can "undo" the "unlock" unless I purchased it from Apple themselves, correct?

Once the iCloud ID has been removed from an iPad, the original user cannot lock it or erase it. When you don't purchase the device from Apple, make sure that it's not locked to the previous user's iCloud ID:
Find My iPhone Activation Lock

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Has anyone tried Swappa?

If you buy an iPad that is not iCloud Activation Locked there is no way for the seller to remotely lock it after the sale. Turning Find My iPhone on can only be done on the device itself, not remotely. The seller, can however, remotely remove the Activation Lock by going to his iCloud account and removing the device from his account.

Most reactions