Ipad 3 out to Apple TV

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by 12spysonu, Apr 13, 2012.

1. 12spysonu

12spysonu iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone know if there is a way to still use the ipad3 while streaming a movie through to apple tv? This feature works great for me, but I can't use my ipad and watch a movie on the big screen at the same time....

2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0
    I don't think you can. There are only a few type of things where you can multitask. I don't think streaming a movie is one of them. I know you can run navigation while listening to music or audiobooks, for example.

3. seneca18

seneca18 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Agreed, I have messed with this myself to no avail. That is why I usually stream via my iPhone and use my iPad while watching. Isn't it funny how we are not satisfied to simply watch a movie or tv anymore without having our devices to mess with also.

4. Midranger4

Midranger4 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    If you own the movie via iTunes purchase apple tv will stream it via the cloud, no iPad required.

5. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0
    It is funny. I like Fringe, but I can barely pay attention now because I'm fiddling around on the iPad posting here. I need to get some focus back in my life. TV time is TV time! :)

6. mandapandalove

mandapandalove iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I'm having the same problem. I can't seem to watch a movie or show without messing on my iphone or ipad for something.

7. boltor

boltor iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not sure if this will help you, however I can do this quite easily using a Plex client on the iPad, linked into my Plex Media Server. I have the PMS on a NAS, however you can just as easily run it from another PC or Mac. You can select a show on Plex (on the iPad), select the ATV (using AirPlay), and then minimise Plex and continue to work on the iPad. I also have an Apple TV (Gen 3) which is awaiting jailbreak / new Plex client, and this is how we us it to watch media. I have an older Gen 2 ATV that has been jailbroken and has the actual Plex client installed. I was very impressed by how well the iPad / Plex / Airply combo worked, even with very poor WiFi signal strength.

Anyway, just one way to be able to watch a movie (albeit with content from a media server) and continue to use the iPad - I acknowledge that this may not be 100% the solution sought, but just an idea.

8. grouchomarx

grouchomarx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    First world problem....