What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3 out to Apple TV

12spysonu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a way to still use the ipad3 while streaming a movie through to apple tv? This feature works great for me, but I can't use my ipad and watch a movie on the big screen at the same time....

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think you can. There are only a few type of things where you can multitask. I don't think streaming a movie is one of them. I know you can run navigation while listening to music or audiobooks, for example.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think you can. There are only a few type of things where you can multitask. I don't think streaming a movie is one of them. I know you can run navigation while listening to music or audiobooks, for example.

Agreed, I have messed with this myself to no avail. That is why I usually stream via my iPhone and use my iPad while watching. Isn't it funny how we are not satisfied to simply watch a movie or tv anymore without having our devices to mess with also.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
12spysonu said:
Does anyone know if there is a way to still use the ipad3 while streaming a movie through to apple tv? This feature works great for me, but I can't use my ipad and watch a movie on the big screen at the same time....

If you own the movie via iTunes purchase apple tv will stream it via the cloud, no iPad required.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agreed, I have messed with this myself to no avail. That is why I usually stream via my iPhone and use my iPad while watching. Isn't it funny how we are not satisfied to simply watch a movie or tv anymore without having our devices to mess with also.

It is funny. I like Fringe, but I can barely pay attention now because I'm fiddling around on the iPad posting here. I need to get some focus back in my life. TV time is TV time! :)

boltor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if this will help you, however I can do this quite easily using a Plex client on the iPad, linked into my Plex Media Server. I have the PMS on a NAS, however you can just as easily run it from another PC or Mac. You can select a show on Plex (on the iPad), select the ATV (using AirPlay), and then minimise Plex and continue to work on the iPad. I also have an Apple TV (Gen 3) which is awaiting jailbreak / new Plex client, and this is how we us it to watch media. I have an older Gen 2 ATV that has been jailbroken and has the actual Plex client installed. I was very impressed by how well the iPad / Plex / Airply combo worked, even with very poor WiFi signal strength.

Anyway, just one way to be able to watch a movie (albeit with content from a media server) and continue to use the iPad - I acknowledge that this may not be 100% the solution sought, but just an idea.

Most reactions

Latest posts