What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3 Mail

crw1948

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can you delete new mail, from me.com for example, without opening the message - to avid virus or spyware.

If you click on edit, to delete the message, the message opens, before you can click in the circle to mark for deletion and then click on the delete pop-up at the bottom.

I may be missing a possible solution; however, unable to locate.

Thank young- Cecil

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad is not a PC. I don't believe there's any way malware can infect iOS without clicking on a link within a malicious email; simply displaying the message is harmless.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

OP
crw1948

crw1948

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is not a PC. I don't believe there's any way malware can infect iOS without clicking on a link within a malicious email; simply displaying the message is harmless.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

Thanks for your reply. I was PC oriented I guess and could not locate if there was a way to delete, without opening. My me.com address receives so much junk mail. I cannot eliminate the Junk Mail.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
BTW, it is possible, sort of, to delete an email without viewing it. Providing it's not already being viewed. If you delete the current email it automatically opens the next one. If you delete other emails without selecting them, they just get deleted.

In landscape view, swipe across the email in the list pane. Don't tap, just swipe. The red Delete button will appear and you can tap it. The email never opens.

As other's have said. You are not at risk from malware just because you view an email. However, the act of opening an email is sometimes used as verification of a valid address for spammers. As a tactic, it's probably futile to avoid opening emails to stay off spam lists. They just have too many other ways of getting you. And, of course, once you're on a list or two it's for forever.

The better tactic is to view and mark as junk every spam email you get. This helps improve the filtering on your account.

Be sure to occasionally review the Junk mail folder before deleting it. Sometimes stuff ends up there that you actually want. Be sure to unmark it as junk. To be certain you get emails that might be considered junk (email lists, newsletters, etc.) add the sending address to your Contacts app.

OP
crw1948

crw1948

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW, it is possible, sort of, to delete an email without viewing it. Providing it's not already being viewed. If you delete the current email it automatically opens the next one. If you delete other emails without selecting them, they just get deleted.

In landscape view, swipe across the email in the list pane. Don't tap, just swipe. The red Delete button will appear and you can tap it. The email never opens.

As other's have said. You are not at risk from malware just because you view an email. However, the act of opening an email is sometimes used as verification of a valid address for spammers. As a tactic, it's probably futile to avoid opening emails to stay off spam lists. They just have too many other ways of getting you. And, of course, once you're on a list or two it's for forever.

The better tactic is to view and mark as junk every spam email you get. This helps improve the filtering on your account.

Be sure to occasionally review the Junk mail folder before deleting it. Sometimes stuff ends up there that you actually want. Be sure to unmark it as junk. To be certain you get emails that might be considered junk (email lists, newsletters, etc.) add the sending address to your Contacts app.

Thank you for your reply and instructions for deleting mail without opening the message. As you noted, there are hinder information that can be obtain. You instructions and comments greatly appreciated. I do or had added endless emails to my Junk Mail. The fact is, the junk mail is my me.com account, which I do not use to send messages.

Is the me.com account necessary? What would be the negative results of deleting this account?

Thank you, Cecil

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply and instructions for deleting mail without opening the message. As you noted, there are hinder information that can be obtain. You instructions and comments greatly appreciated. I do or had added endless emails to my Junk Mail. The fact is, the junk mail is my me.com account, which I do not use to send messages.

Is the me.com account necessary? What would be the negative results of deleting this account?

Thank you, Cecil

Is you're Apple ID is *[email protected], *[email protected], or *[email protected]? They are pretty much interchangeable depending on when you got your account.

If so, you can't really delete the me.com account without losing your Apple ID. You can ignore it though, maybe put a note in your calendar to visit it from a computer browser at icloud.com every few months and clean it out. You can also turn off Mail in your iCloud settings on the iPad so that they don't show up there. Alternatively it can also be turned off in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars; your iCloud account settings.

It is possible to select and delete multiple emails at icloud.com; by clicking on the first one, then scrolling down and shift-clicking on the last. You can only use this site from a desktop computer browser. It won't work on the iPad.

I forgot about that when making my first post.

Last edited:
OP
crw1948

crw1948

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is you're Apple ID is *[email protected], *[email protected], or *[email protected]? They are pretty much interchangeable depending on when you got your account.

If so, you can't really delete the me.com account without losing your Apple ID. You can ignore it though, maybe put a note in your calendar to visit it from a computer browser at icloud.com every few months and clean it out. You can also turn off Mail in your iCloud settings on the iPad so that they don't show up there. Alternatively it can also be turned off in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars; your iCloud account settings.

It is possible to select and delete multiple emails at icloud.com; by clicking on the first one, then scrolling down and shift-clicking on the last. You can only use this site from a desktop computer browser. It won't work on the iPad.

I forgot about that when making my first post.

Thank you.

OP
crw1948

crw1948

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem.

My guess, sense I do not use my me.com in any emails, app purchases, Tweeter, Facebook, or social media, my me.com account is shared. My primary and gmail accounts, receive few spam emails. If could be a weak filter or me.com was released. Just saying... Cecil

Most reactions

Latest posts