ipad 3 dual-core or quad core?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by smanuola, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    The Cortex A7 is a new chip that is inexpensive to build, thus make for budget smart phones (less than $100) with performance probably equal to a iPhone 3G or 4.

The Cortex A15 is suppose to come out sometime this year as a dual-core, followed by a quad-core, probably in 2013. The A15 is suppose to be a 5-fold improvement over the A-9.

2. Milanno

Milanno
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Amazing info! I like idea "Big.LITTLE" computing" very much, its ideal for portable devices like iPad.

3. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I do not know where the clock speeds was pulled from, but to my knowledge the A4 & A5 are clocked at 1Ghz. The A4 is single core, the A5 s dual core with an improved graphc processor. The A6 is going to be more efficient and powerful because it uses 28nm technology compare to the 45 nm A4 & A5. That is why they could stil bring out a dual core and have more power. Since ARM is linked to Apple, it is a sure bet that the iPad is always going to have the best chips first.

4. Milanno

Milanno
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    As I know they were clocked @800 Mhz primarily because of energy consumption. Totally agreed on bold text!

5. donka

donka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Did they not say the A5 is 1Ghz in iPad 2 and 800Mhz in iPhone 4s - by they, I mean the tear down sites as Apple doesn't officially disclose the real specs.

6. exile

exile
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    +1 :)

7. lowlife

lowlife
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hoping for the quad core but would be happy with a 28nm architecture on the dual core, if it is in fact currently 45nm. I have an iPad 1 & 2 and see very little difference in day to day usage. More power results in little improvement on the main things people use the iPad for (gamers aside).

8. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:

I don't see why people just want more cores just because its got more cores does not automatically mean it will have better performance.
    Suddenly everyone wants at least dual core processors and now pushing for quad-core no matter what impact it has on battery life and even if it means lower speed processor.

9. Uberchu

Uberchu
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    We only have two processor options if we want the iPad 3 to remain competitive for the rest of 2012:

1. 2 Ghz Dual-Core Cortex-A15: This probably won't be out until Summer 2012. Not likely to be in iPad 3, although it would be one of the best option.
    2. 1.4 Ghz Quad-Core Cortex-A9: Somewhat likely. It's already in the Asus Transformer Prime. However, the A5X processor that's been revealed casts doubt on this option.
    3. Overclocked Dual-Core Cortex-A9: Likely, but it's the worst chip we can get.

A Cortex-A15 is pretty much impossible, leaving Option 2 and Option 3. Option 2 would be best, but the A5X processor seems to support Option 3. Although, if the iPad does go with Option 3, it will be completey outclassed by the Android and Windows 8 Tablets that are arriving.

Finally, more cores does generally mean better performance. Battery life improves if there is a fifth, low-powered core like in the Prime. The only dual-core that would beat a quad-core would be the Cortex-A15, but that's not out yet. So the best thing possible would be quad-core.

10. donka

donka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Four cores only means better performance IF the application being run is truly multi threaded, otherwise a single or dual core processor at a higher clock speed will out perform it. Personally I think the iPad 2 performs nicely - don't get me wrong, more power is always nice provided it is not at the expense of battery life. I would be looking for more RAM though as I have seen limitations with this on the iPad 2 with certain apps.