What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3 with no A6?

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is a hypothetical, but if the ipad 3 didn't have the A6 quad core processor, would you still want to buy it?

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are other things besides the processor that effects performance.

And yes I know my answer has about as much detail as your question;)

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If they put the HD screen in there and hopefully bump up the RAM then I would be happy enough with the A5. Can't see the RAM upgrade myself though...

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple is resolutely uninterested in keeping up with the Joneses in terms of the latest and greatest processors and the biggest and fastest memory available. They'll upgrade the processor if what they're trying to accomplish in terms of a user experience requires it. Otherwise, if it ain't broke they don't fix it.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't plan on getting the 3, I usually do every other generation as the upgrades usually aren't earth shattering. If I were looking to upgrade and the 3 did not have an A6 chip it would really come down to what the other new features are and then I would have to weigh my options to see if it was worth it; I wouldn't make my decision soley based on which chip they used. Also, I'm not a gamer or anything so I don't put a heavy emphasis on the chip.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My original iPad is still working great, and I have just invested in a new laptop fr my wifie, and a MM for my use. I doubt that I will have the cash that I want to spend by the time the iPad3 first comes out. However, it may be a short wait until the A6 is added. I figure that I may be better off waiting until we know more about the A6 model and then making my decision. The iPad3 is suppose to have a thinner, lighter battery to make room for the higher res screen. That could be an influence.

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd still get it since I'm still on the original iPad. I want the things that the iPad 2 has but wasn't willing to upgrade in less than 2 years Everything else on the 3 is gravy for me.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no requirement to upgrade the processor to have a new model iPad.

They could increase the speed by clocking the existing processor faster - though I think the current speed on the iPad 2 is fine - faster is always better if it doesn't compromise battery life.

The iPad 3 will certainly include a higher resolution Retina display and better resolution front and rear facing cameras.

No reason to wait for a new processor to provide a new model and keep the buzz going.

They do have some supply chain issue though, since they are currently shipping 200,000 iPad 2s each and every day... If you are going to update the model, you need to build up manufacturing capacity to handle the overlap so you don't have a serious availability problem.

We will see an iPad 3 in the Spring, it's just a question of what will be the new hardware and software features.

You can bet they are looking for inspiration from their successful competitors as well as input from the user and internal design communities.

Rumor is there are over 100 new features on the internal "wish list" for future iPad development... I would love to get a copy of that list just to see what people are thinking about for the future...

I will definitely buy an iPad 3 for personal use.

-t

observer4u

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
There is no requirement to upgrade the processor to have a new model iPad.

They could increase the speed by clocking the existing processor faster - though I think the current speed on the iPad 2 is fine - faster is always better if it doesn't compromise battery life.

The iPad 3 will certainly include a higher resolution Retina display and better resolution front and rear facing cameras.

No reason to wait for a new processor to provide a new model and keep the buzz going.

They do have some supply chain issue though, since they are currently shipping 200,000 iPad 2s each and every day... If you are going to update the model, you need to build up manufacturing capacity to handle the overlap so you don't have a serious availability problem.

We will see an iPad 3 in the Spring, it's just a question of what will be the new hardware and software features.

You can bet they are looking for inspiration from their successful competitors as well as input from the user and internal design communities.

Rumor is there are over 100 new features on the internal "wish list" for future iPad development... I would love to get a copy of that list just to see what people are thinking about for the future...

I will definitely buy an iPad 3 for personal use.

-t

I am eagerly waiting for iPad 3 to throw my iPad 2 from 40 story building and wait to watch getting it into pieces. Hahahaha.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Better infrastructure

What would drive me to iPad3 would be Siri. The resolution on my iPad2 is really good. Sure more might be better, but at what cost ... lower battery life?
The A6 could support Siri better. My biggest problem is internet access. Right now I am using MiFi from Verizon ... it is slow and capped. My limitation currently is Verizon. If I lived in town with access to WiFi ... then things would be quite different.

iCloud and Siri are the keys to iPadX. I saw where one poster wanted to clock up the processor speed ... but that will degrade battery life my friend. If the A6 draws less power, does more, faster that is a plus. If I could get Siri and great internet speed and no cap, my iPad2 would be great for years.

For Christmas the iPad2 was in most demand by our Grandkids...12,14 and 16

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
Why waste a beautiful iPad2? You must have more money than whatever.

Why not give it to someone or sell it???

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01Update From NYC using iPF

volcanopele

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If they double the resolution of the display without improving the CPU and GPU, I will definitely not be getting the iPad 3. My iPad 2 runs great, but I seriously doubt I will get the same performance and responsiveness if they don't improve at least the GPU.

====
Edit: I'll go back to what I said before about the iPad 3. It really needs 3 out of 4 things I am expecting for it: 4G connectivity, the new A6 chip set, more memory (128 GB for the top end model), and a higher resolution screen. A better camera would be nice, but isn't necessary as I don't use the camera all that often. If what is missing is the A6 chip, well... it would take a lot for me to be convinced that the device won't suffer in performance.

Last edited:

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There wont be a new processor...bcoz the iphone 4s has just come with the A5 and they will be making it old if they release a new processor so quickly..plus there is no speed issues at all till now like with the ipad 1.

Sent from my iPad 2 white 64 gb (ios 5.0.1) using iPF

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts