The A5X

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by Seadog, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    OLED is a strong possibility in the future, but they have not made it to the big time yet. There are reasons for the lack of large scale use of OLEDs, including cost and reliability. They may be ready soon, but it is also possible that a newer technology may pass them by. A number of small screen devices have the OLED screens, but the numbers that would be required for the Apple products is not available yet. It could be that they will be ready for the next iPhone or the next iPad, but it will come down to several factors that no one is sure about yet.

#11 Seadog, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. donka

donka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    People are saying the A5X is not changed in any way apart from the updated graphics but a lot of reports from the hands on with the iPad 3 confirmed it felt a snappier device in use. That may be down to extra RAM but it may also be down the A5X being clocked faster than the A5 - something I'm certain would have happened if the fabrication process moved to a smaller die. It may also be down to IOS being able to leverage some of the quad core graphics power for some of it's OS duties.
    I'm actually curious if we will be seeing some of the high action games being native resolution on the iPad 3. I know Real Racing 2 is pushing the graphical limits of the iPad 2 but if they can run 4 x the resolution smoothly in games with only 2 x the gpu power then I wonder if things have been clocked higher.
    It will certainly be impressive if these big games are running @ 2048x1536.

3. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    There is the usual name calling because Apple will not release all their secrets to the media. Some wannabe techs cannot see how Apple can do what they claim. And there are faults with every benchmark. In truth, unless you run the iPad with Android OS, there can be no real comparison.

4. Skull One

Skull One
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Now there is something I wish Apple would do as a nice media stunt. Put Android on a iPad and run them side by side. And watch that poor Dalvik VM show just how much overhead it costs and why Android tablets have to have Quad Cores just to keep pace with the A5 and A5X.

5. stitcherIam

stitcherIam
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Airtent! Your reply answered what I've been wondering as far as what to expect with the overall processing speed within the apps!

6. Airtent

Airtent
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Now the issue is when app developers add in all those new fancy graphics to their apps, that will greatly add to the size of those apps. Especially if that app is universal. They have to keep different resolution assets so they display properly on each type of device. Read somewhere that with the new update to imovie it went from 70 megs to almost 240 megs!