What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 stuck in Recovery Mode without backup. How can I get to my photos?

Mike T.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an iPad 2 64GB 3G+WiFi. It had iOS 6.1.2 and jailbroken.

Unfortunately, my brother-in-law ran the OTA upgrade to 6.1.3 and now it is stuck in recovery mode. I do not have any recent backup of it.

Before I reinstall iOS to it, is there a way to get to the files/photos in it?

I found by googling a method to boot an iphone/ipad to a ramdisk and get to the files via SSH, but it was a couple of years old already. I tried it without any luck.

I hope someone here can point me to a working method.

Fingers crossed.

--- mike t.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AFAIK you couldn't boot from ramdisk on the iPad 2 since iOS 4 only because you could put it into pwned DFU by extracting it out of the IPSW.

Generally in situations like these, unless you have professional tools at your disposal, you won't be able to get the data out, an even then it's pretty skeptical.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

OP
M

Mike T.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, willerz2.

Is there anyway to get an image dump of the iPad 2's SSD?

Fingers still crossed.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
See if iExplorer by Macroplant works. It requires that you have iTunes on your PC as it works off of the core of iTunes, but what iExplorer excels at is that it makes a backup of your device for you to manipulate and such. See if plugging your iPad in and running iExplorer allows you to save a backup of the device that you can extract all the data out of.

OP
M

Mike T.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
See if iExplorer by Macroplant works. It requires that you have iTunes on your PC as it works off of the core of iTunes, but what iExplorer excels at is that it makes a backup of your device for you to manipulate and such. See if plugging your iPad in and running iExplorer allows you to save a backup of the device that you can extract all the data out of.

I downloaded iExplorer, but run it unregistered (trial). But it cannot see my iPad 2 when I connect it.

I also downloaded Dr. Fone and tried it (also unregistered/trial) but says that it is not in "normal" mode -- I imagine normal mode being a properly booted up unit -- which is a catch 22.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts