What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 sound gone ?

jackniksmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,
This may sound strange but today my iPad sound for such things like typing, unlocking the iPad etc have seemed to have disappeared, this has also effected some apps like cinexplayer from playing sound also. Has anyone else found a problem like or would know how to fix this ?

Thanks
Jack

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Jack - welcome to the forum - :)

Let's start w/ basics (and you may have already done these maneuvers, so my apologies).

First, check the switch in the right upper side of the iPad - this is defaulted as a sound on-off switch; if the switch was unintentionally put to the OFF position then return and see if that is the issue.

Second, below the above switch are the rocker controls for the sound on your device - if the lower volume portion is pressed then the sound will be muted - give that one a try.

Finally, if the above suggestions do not solve the sound issue, then double press the home button quickly which will open the lower app menu bar; swipe to the right until the play & sound controls appear (to the left of the iPod icon) - check the speaker level?

If none of these suggestions help, please post back - good luck!

OP
J

jackniksmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Hi Jack - welcome to the forum - :)

Let's start w/ basics (and you may have already done these maneuvers, so my apologies).

First, check the switch in the right upper side of the iPad - this is defaulted as a sound on-off switch; if the switch was unintentionally put to the OFF position then return and see if that is the issue.

Second, below the above switch are the rocker controls for the sound on your device - if the lower volume portion is pressed then the sound will be muted - give that one a try.

Finally, if the above suggestions do not solve the sound issue, then double press the home button quickly which will open the lower app menu bar; swipe to the right until the play & sound controls appear (to the left of the iPod icon) - check the speaker level?

If none of these suggestions help, please post back - good luck!

Lol okay I feel like a right idiot for wasting your time, OPPS the switch was off. I'm not even a novice when it comes to all this, just don't remember ever touching that button. Cheers :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Lol okay I feel like a right idiot for wasting your time, OPPS the switch was off. I'm not even a novice when it comes to all this, just don't remember ever touching that button. Cheers :)

Well, glad that my first suggestion worked! An easy fix for a change - :D

zman764

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same issue. My ipad2 does not make the locking or typing sounds. Volume is up. Sounds are enabled in settings. If I play music it works fine. Any thoughts?

Mahmud57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just slide on the small ringer switch located at the top of the volume button.

Mahmud57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you check settings>general>sounds>ringer and alerts. Set the slider full

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
zman764 said:
No effect. My switch is set to lock the orientation. Btw

Well, you might want to try to 'restart' or if not effective 'reset' the iPad, if not already done. I occasionally lose the sound on a few games, and shutting down the app or restarting the iPad solves the issue; if not, then a reset is done - good luck"!

irispad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, glad that my first suggestion worked! An easy fix for a change - :D
Giradman brilliant answer. I've been having the same problem. You are the first one that went straight to the answer. Thanks!!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Giradman brilliant answer. I've been having the same problem. You are the first one that went straight to the answer. Thanks!!

Hi Irispad - you appear new to the forum, so welcome! And glad that the suggestion(s) worked for you - :)

y0lorenzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Phantom sound disappearance is a recurring issue for me. I have a difficult time touch typing on the iPad with no sound, the sound gives my brain that feedback "blackberry" feel. I have an iPad 2 with iOS 5.0.1. I keep my side switch set to "lock rotation" because I enable/disable my lock frequently. I find that often enough for it to be a nuissaince this problem reoccurs. I am the sole user if my device, no one is changing my settings. Each time this problem occurs, my solution is to go into Settings > General > change side switch to "mute" > toggle side switch to "sound on" > exit settings and confirm sound is on > return to settings and change side switch back to "lock rotation" > go into words with friends and have fun shaking my iPad to jiggle the letters and make that bloo-doop sound.

Most reactions

Latest posts