What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 screen?

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What is the screen made of? Is it ceramic or some special glass? Really want to know! Thanks, Squib

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks, can glass be ceramic glass? Like a smooth oven top?

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I"The iPad 2 and previous iPad both utilize Corning Gorilla Glass. This type of glass is an alkali-aluminosilicate, being primarily silica and aluminum with an alkali metal, along with other unspecified components mixed in to tweak its properties. The biggest benefit of alluminosilicate glasses, aside from being relatively tough to start with, is the fact that the rate of ion exchange is fairly high even at temperatures low enough that the structure cannot react, meaning it can be processed quickly and create deep protective layers in the glass. The iPad 2 has a modest reduction in the thickness of the glass (about 23% thinner, for those interested) compared to the first iPad, and the question of increased fracture risk has been posed. Given the identical surface quality between the two generations, the reduction of thickness should create no palpable change in toughness for the typical user. That is to say, a drop that would shatter the screen on the original iPad would likely do the same for the new model. That being said, several other design changes appear to account for the change, and might yield better performance in this department."

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wow! That was GREAT information. So much more than I had even considered. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it in a way I could understand it. Much appreciated! :) Squib You ARE a super moderator!

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow! That was GREAT information. So much more than I had even considered. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it in a way I could understand it. Much appreciated! :) Squib You ARE a super moderator!

Thanks, but all I did was find that info right here on IPF. :)

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yup, you are a super moderator. Its ow how hard some threads are to find! Unless you guys have special tricks? I really enjoyed reading that, thank s again.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's made from the blood of the gods and the sweat from the warriors!

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What is the screen made of? Is it ceramic or some special glass? Really want to know! Thanks, Squib

The screen or the glass that covers the screen?

The screen is made up from many curious layers of unfathomable materians developed deep within the mines of Foxconn, in the western part of Narnia.

Made by elves and alchemists that still do not know how they work; they ascribe that to a witch's coven and a secret recepie cooked up in a cauldron at midnight. They think the Devil had a hand in their divination. By screen, I mean the thing that displays the pictures.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I"The iPad 2 and previous iPad both utilize Corning Gorilla Glass. This type of glass is an alkali-aluminosilicate, being primarily silica and aluminum with an alkali metal, along with other unspecified components mixed in to tweak its properties. The biggest benefit of alluminosilicate glasses, aside from being relatively tough to start with, is the fact that the rate of ion exchange is fairly high even at temperatures low enough that the structure cannot react, meaning it can be processed quickly and create deep protective layers in the glass. The iPad 2 has a modest reduction in the thickness of the glass (about 23% thinner, for those interested) compared to the first iPad, and the question of increased fracture risk has been posed. Given the identical surface quality between the two generations, the reduction of thickness should create no palpable change in toughness for the typical user. That is to say, a drop that would shatter the screen on the original iPad would likely do the same for the new model. That being said, several other design changes appear to account for the change, and might yield better performance in this department."

Yes, but that is perhaps not the screen. The glass, yes, but not the screen. I am sure the OP meant the glass part not the magic stuff that diaaplays the pictures.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Yes, ceramics can be clear enough for screens. So can sapphire, by the way. This would likely be more resistant to scratches than GG/GG2, perhaps.

Glass is my second love. Ploymers are my first. Did you know that you are made of polymers? But I digress.

GG is good enough for a tablet.

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The screen or the glass that covers the screen?

The screen is made up from many curious layers of unfathomable materians developed deep within the mines of Foxconn, in the western part of Narnia.

Made by elves and alchemists that still do not know how they work; they ascribe that to a witch's coven and a secret recepie cooked up in a cauldron at midnight. They think the Devil had a hand in their divination. By screen, I mean the thing that displays the pictures.

Thanks for that, my smile for the day! Of course I was asking about the glass. The reason I really wanted to know is because if it is ceramic like oven tops, sugar can do major damage to the glass!
Is that picture of what looks like the inside of an iPad real or part of the spoof? Has anyone looked inside an iPad and taken a picture? How I would LOVE to see that!
Sorry I'm straying from the glass thread but figure you guys are so well informed you would be the best one's to ask, and since I have your attention I am asking. Sorry ( not too much ) for going off topic! :) the photo I was referring to was in laugh of the day, by SparkyScott21 posted on 04-04-2013 @ 1:14 PM

Last edited:

InHisName

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw the inside of mine at airport security x-ray !

All you need is some else two people ahead with a camera ready to click. Snap picture of that X-ray display as your ipad comes into view.

Sent from my iPad using iPF, still lots room left in 64GB

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw the inside of mine at airport security x-ray !

All you need is some else two people ahead with a camera ready to click. Snap picture of that X-ray display as your ipad comes into view.

Sent from my iPad using iPF, still lots room left in 64GB

I'd be leery of being caught taking pictures inside the security area of an airport. Homeland Security can get very protective about it's territory.

Most reactions

Latest posts