Cleaning The Screen?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by juniorgolf18, Oct 14, 2011.

1. juniorgolf18

juniorgolf18 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What is recommended to clean the screen with (iPad2) ?

I've got the little square things that got at Best Buy with the soft felt like stuff on the back to wipe it clean, but wasn't sure if recommended to clean with some solution, water, windex since glass...lol

Thanks...
  2. Jeeper

Jeeper iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Do Not put any liquid on the screen, you will totally bum out! The little cloth things work fine. I use the ones I get for my eye glasses.
  3. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897 / 0
    Hi Juniorgolf - there is already plenty of information on this topic available on the forum - please try the search function for more detailed posts - a suggestion. :)

But, be careful in cleaning the iPad glass screen (suggestions are available also in the Apple iPad support area) - I use a microfiber cloth (like those for LCD screens, CDs, glasses, etc.) just slightly dampened w/ a little water; do not use a lot of water and certainly none of the products that you mentioned (such as Windex); the screen has an oleophobic coating to help prevent adherence of oils from the fingers; this coating can be damaged w/ an aggressive or abrasive surface cleaning - just go easy, don't clean that often, and use a gentle method - good luck!
  4. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    Honestly - a very soft micro-cloth and a little "breath" does wonders with this screen. You can also dab it with lukewarm water(just a few dabs or touches) and then wipe it with a soft cloth. Its the same method I clean telescope gear with and those lenses are all like brand new. No harsh cleaners, like Windex or whatever solution someone sells you. Just my 2 cents.
  5. juniorgolf18

juniorgolf18 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok. Thx guys.

I used one of those little pouch things for cleaning screens. Hope didn't mess it up. Seems ok though.
  6. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    No products that contain alcohol. iKlear makes a packet containing several cloth sizes that is excellent. Lastly, I dont want to gross anybody out; but, for a stubborn spot, saliva works wonders. :)
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  7. Milliebert

Milliebert iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Noooooo! Saliva contains amylase, a chemical which breaks stuff down. I wouldn't do that on these screens. Warm breath and a microfibre cloth does the trick!
  8. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    ???? I've always used this "technique."
  9. Milliebert

Milliebert iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    On normal untreated glass yes, but on these screens nooooo! My daughters optician told us not even to do that on her lenses in her glasses as they have coatings on them and the saliva will break it down. She always used to "spit and polish" them in class. As these have the oleophobic coating on, I'd never risk it.
  10. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    My screen must be a mess. ;). Good to hear about it though...
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  11. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Strike out the saliva comment folks! :)
  12. snowboarder8985

snowboarder8985 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I use spray windex on a paper towel and use that. I haven't had any problems yet. Also I have a 3 year square trade warranty on it, so I'm not concerned about it getting damaged.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
  13. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    These screens are fairly tough. I often carry my iTouch in my side pocket with a little change and sometimes my keys; and, though I try to turn it away from these objects, they sometimes come in contact with the screen. There is not a single scratch on it. I much more careful with the iPad.

I agree with Millie though, better to be safe than sorry.
  14. ian russell

ian russell iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When does the screen need cleaning? I've used mine every day since April and it still looks okay. Though I do use a stylus mostly.
  15. Milliebert

Milliebert iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    I guess just when you think it does. I don't clean mi e at all when it's got the screen protector on as it doesn't seem to get greased up. But when it has no protection, I wipe it once a day with a microfibre cloth that I bought from the retailer where I bought the iPad.

How do you get on with the stylus? I thought about getting one, but not sure how much I'd use it.
  16. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Never clean the screen with any sort of cleaning solvent. Just wipe with a soft cloth if necessary.

Here are Apples instructions about cleaning the screen:

Don't use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. iPad has an oleophobic coating on the screen; simply wipe iPad's screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands. The ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ian russell

ian russell iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I bought a Boxwave one specifically to use on the Brushes app. While I didn't get on too well with the app, I quite like the stylus for general use. I have to use my fingers though, two of them, to scroll through framed content on websites - quite tricky to do with fingers but impossible with a stylus. If you get a Boxwave don't worry too much over its colour. With use, in time it rubs off and reveals the brassy metal underneath!

Yes, I only notice marks on the screen when it's off, when it's on I can't see them. As I don't use it when it's off I don't think to clean it. :D

Sent from my iPad using iPF
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  18. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897 / 0
    Yes, I would definitely agree, although grandma used to clean our faces spitting on a handkerchief - yuk, we hated it! :D

Salivary amylase in saliva is an enzyme that starts breaking down carbohydrates in the mouth; saliva is also a mildly alkaline solution (not quite lye but you get the picture); finally, the mouth is just full of bacteria that obviously work on food (i.e. cause of bad breath), so I cannot imagine leaving that material on the iPad screen and what might happen to the oleophobic layer? Sounds like a controlled experiment would need to be done! :)
  19. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897 / 0
    Well, Windex contains ammonia and detergents, perfect for dissolving the oleophobic coating on the iPad screen, but won't harm the glass! I'll stick to my advice at the beginning of this thread; once the coating is reduced or gone the problem w/ fingerprints & smudging will likely just worsen, but just my opinion? Cheers - :)
  20. guthrien

guthrien iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I wonder if the explosion of iPads is raising the incidence of virus and other bodily carried bacteria being passed between people :)