What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 screen locked and won't reboot.....Help!!

worldtramper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello
I've got an iPad that has frozen. I can't turn it off,unlock the screen or even reboot it. I've tried connecting it to a computer but because I can't unlock the screen that won't work either.
Help please!!

OP
W

worldtramper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. All that has happened is the slide function has stopped working. I've had a problem with the on and off switch for ages but I've never need to do a full restore were I couldn't even slide the screen. If I can't slide my screen I can't follow the commands whilst connected to my computer.

OP
W

worldtramper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know how to do a reboot and I also know how to do a full restore but I can't do a reboot because of my faulty on/off switch and I can't do factory setting reset because I can't slide the screen which is what is required when you connect to iTunes.

OP
W

worldtramper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of doing is just letting the battery go flat and rebooting after that. But my pad is on 50% and has taken two days to drop 10%. So it may be a while!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you mean the slide to unlock function on the Lockscreen you may have a defective touchscreen that's not properly accepting inputs. This could be a hardware issue, which can be determined by having your iPad checked out at the the Genius Bar at the nearest Apple Store.

OP
W

worldtramper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not too sure that it is a faulty screen as it was working perfectly before this. Also the camera function slide works just not the slide to open function.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not too sure that it is a faulty screen as it was working perfectly before this. Also the camera function slide works just not the slide to open function.
It is possible for only certain areas of the screen to become unresponsive while other areas function normally.

OP
W

worldtramper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried dragging from all parts of the screen but with no luck. It does move a little but not enough to follow it through as far as a full sliding motion.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know how to do a reboot and I also know how to do a full restore but I can't do a reboot because of my faulty on/off switch and I can't do factory setting reset because I can't slide the screen which is what is required when you connect to iTunes.
The slider is needed after restoring, not before or during the process,afaik. I understand that restoring should also help with iPads that are locked and/or don't react at all.

OP
W

worldtramper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and replies.

I'll give it another go connecting it to my laptop but the first time I did it, it just came up with a long line with a chasing/pulsating light on it and won't go any further?

OP
W

worldtramper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi JA
Not as I'm aware. I just got this pulsing bar and didn't seem to get any further.
Is it a trip to the Apple store??

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try once more to restore it using the instructions in my link - no matter what the iPad does when you connect it. If this doesn't work, you should have your iPad checked, as suggested by scifan57.

Most reactions

Latest posts