What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Graphics Benchmarks: Way Better Than the Xoom, Kills the Original iPad

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So is this good or bad? Are you saying that it IS better picture than the iPad?

For the non-technical: no matter how the Androidiacs try to argue, the iPad kicked the Xoom in the pants.

But still, the iPad isn't going to win all the benchmarks forever. For me, the total experience of using an iPad is what is most important. And most reviewers agree that the iPad wins that benchmark hands down.

michaelplogue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:

No, the iPad's performance is still better - even if you compare them on a pixel-to-pixel basis. However, I think that the difference may be more attributable to the software than the hardware (though the hardware certainly plays a big part) The performance increase on an iPad 1 increased significantly with the latest OS update - so I'd be willing to bet that the comparison between the Xoom and iPad 2 would be closer if one used the older OS on the iPad 2 as a baseline.

michaelplogue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
michaelplogue said:
No, the iPad's performance is still better - even if you compare them on a pixel-to-pixel basis. However, I think that the difference may be more attributable to the software than the hardware (though the hardware certainly plays a big part) The performance increase on an iPad 1 increased significantly with the latest OS update - so I'd be willing to bet that the comparison between the Xoom and iPad 2 would be closer if one used the older OS on the iPad 2 as a baseline.

Actually, I may have misspoken. I do know that there is a significant performance increase in safari/web browsing - not sure if this directly translates into better graphics performance.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

For the non-technical: no matter how the Androidiacs try to argue, the iPad kicked the Xoom in the pants.

But still, the iPad isn't going to win all the benchmarks forever. For me, the total experience of using an iPad is what is most important. And most reviewers agree that the iPad wins that benchmark hands down.

ITA. Every time I use my iPad ~ I have the WOW factor. Seriously. I love that thing.

SweetPoison said:

Wasn't the iPad still better than the Xoom even before the iPad2 came out? I have seen them both on TV, and I have the iPad, and side by side, there is nothing more beautiful than my iPad.:D

Except when I use it.

michaelplogue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Wasn't the iPad still better than the Xoom even before the iPad2 came out? I have seen them both on TV, and I have the iPad, and side by side, there is nothing more beautiful than my iPad.:D

Except when I use it.

According to the chart posted in this thread, no.

But let's face it, design and production schedules - based on the technology/components available at that time - will almost always result in someone being faster and better than the last guy. One will always end up comparing apples (no pun intended) to oranges. For the most part, I don't believe that the vast majority of users will even notice the difference in performances unless they do a detailed side-by-side comparison.

I love my iPad for what I bought it for - a worry free device for reading e-books and browsing the internet when I'm not tied down to a desk. However, it's not going to replace the power and utility of my desktop PC computers any time soon. With this in mind, there is definitely a place in the world for 'utility' tablets that have more flexibility and customization than what iPads and apple's closed architecture will allow. They may not be as pretty, but they will soon be quite powerful and capable of doing a lot more than what an iPad can do. There is certainly a future for other tablets - such as the Xoom. It may not happen immediately, and it may not be with the current model (or what any other company is currently developing). But it will happen a lot quicker than most people will think.

mark II

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.markhschneider.com
lets not forget the fact that it is beating it in this fashion while still sporting an amazing 10hour battery life! that is HUGE for me and i'm sure many of you. couple that with all the other great features and there isn't much to think about :D

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Xoom has a higher reso what did you expect?

Slightly lower performance. You know, like hardly noticeable... People can't really discern differences of 10% or so without benchmarks. But to have double the speed,well, you don't need a benchmark for that...

michaelplogue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Thanks! So the iPad gets 12.6 hours when running Toy Story 3.....interesting!

Assuming one actually wants to watch Toy Story 3 - for over twelve hours...... ;)

michaelplogue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
;)

On a serious note: Just looking at a single aspect when comparing devices would be doing a disservice to yourself. You would want to compare all of the things that are most important for your needs. If you really do spend 12 hours in a row staring at a small screen, then certainly battery life is important. I often times take international flights which can last well over 12 hours, and so far, I've never used that much battery during a single trip. And as the vast majority of men will loudly claim, "Size doesn't matter!"

:)

Most reactions

Latest posts