What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Graphics Benchmarks: Way Better Than the Xoom, Kills the Original iPad

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score

medium_glbenchmark_2.png

Anandtech put the iPad 2 under a GLBenchmark 2.0 test, a great benchmark for seeing the power of the GPU (where Apple is claiming 9x the performance of the original iPad), and came away with some staggering results.

The iPad 2, or I guess more specifically, the A5 chip is going to be an absolute beast for 3D gaming. It's incredible, it's almost silly to put the Tegra 2 (which is in the Xoom) and A4 in the same conversation as the A5. Anandtech says:

Developers with existing titles on the iPad could conceivably triple geometry complexity with no impact on performance on the iPad 2. [...] There's just no competition here.

You should check out the rest of the benchmarks at Anandtech. Be sure to see the difference in graphics between the iPad 2 and original iPad with Infinity Blade too. [Anandtech]

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good find! It was funny reading the comments on that article. The higher resolution on the Xoom hurt it's score in the benchmarking. Oh well, A Major win for IPad 2. Makes me want one even more now. So the 9X graphics of ipad1 was a true statement. I can only imagine the type of games that are possible with graphics and scores lkke that. 512mb ram is sufficient enough for ipad2.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was looking at that too. The tests basically destroy the Xoom.

To be frank, I wasn't expecting to win any benchmark tests because I think that the total experience with something so personal as a tablet transcends mere specs.

But I sure feel better knowing that it is also very competitive from another view.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

medium_glbenchmark_2.png

Anandtech put the iPad 2 under a GLBenchmark 2.0 test, a great benchmark for seeing the power of the GPU (where Apple is claiming 9x the performance of the original iPad), and came away with some staggering results.

The iPad 2, or I guess more specifically, the A5 chip is going to be an absolute beast for 3D gaming. It's incredible, it's almost silly to put the Tegra 2 (which is in the Xoom) and A4 in the same conversation as the A5. Anandtech says:

Developers with existing titles on the iPad could conceivably triple geometry complexity with no impact on performance on the iPad 2. [...] There's just no competition here.

You should check out the rest of the benchmarks at Anandtech. Be sure to see the difference in graphics between the iPad 2 and original iPad with Infinity Blade too. [Anandtech]

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

I just saw this exact benchmark over at the Xoom site and they called it bullshit. Of course they would, though.

I could not really tell you why they said this, though. They sure do not like our iPads over there!

Goodness. It's almost like it's personal.:D

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
See... this is why we try to protect you Marie! There are some evil people out there with very bad attitudes! You should just stay here where it is nice and warm and fuzzy.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you missed this, still makes me laugh:
"The Xoom tablet is trim, light, and very pretty ... but when you place it next to the iPad 2, it looks as though it was designed and built by angry Soviet prison labor instead of by Motorola." andy ihnatko in chicago sun-times."
In a later article:
"The 2011 tablet computer season has barely begun. Even so, I’ll go out on a limb and say that this isn’t going to be Google’s year, or HP’s, or RIM’s, or anybody else but Apple’s. At this point I’ve tried every major 2011 tablet -- released or unreleased -- and I can’t come up with any reasonable scenario in which I’d recommend anything other than an iPad. “You tried it and hated it” is one reason to shop elsewhere, I suppose. Another is “Your eccentric uncle died and left you ten million dollars, on the proviso that you marry a woman named Vladimir, not buy any Apple products, and eat an entire leather sofa.”

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People talking about the screen resolution killing the xoom, there is not enough of a pixel difference to account for the less than half graphics performance. So there ya go

michaelplogue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even if you do take into account the differences between screen resolutions, you are still going to see a 40% difference in performance (as opposed to the 46% difference comparing the raw numbers).

Most reactions

Latest posts