What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 glued up

evennewerbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For some weeks I have been noticing my ipad often quite 'sticky'. It would not always respond to stylus commands, and particularly Journal and other webpages would not scroll down, all would make me wait a minute or two before they decided to. Likewise sometimes with editing text, and a bit with almost everything you do on iPad.

Out of memory? I think it had about 8GB+ of free memory which I think allows the device to live, OK?
I removed a lot of tabs and now when I work have only about three there.
Quite soon after doing this, almost a coincidence, yesterday it seized up completely.
It was fixed on the grey starting screen, the one that asks you to swipe in order to put your security Number in. However I was unable to move anything by swiping. I was unable to even shut the device down, because you have to move a thing on the screen for that, and I couldn't make anything move.
Yesterday following something I found in a book I held down a button, I think the home button, for a longer time, and was able to close it down. On reopening it was fine, much less sticky. I was able to do relatively demanding things like use the camera and email a message with four or five of the photos. Great relief.
I was going to make a post here in order to try and understand what had been wrong, and so be able to take precautions as this was worrying. In order to check what I told you of memory and what was my OS this evening I opened it again. And it's stuck again in a slightly different way. It opens on a black blank page, I can swipe to another page which is black blank and has only the time on it.
I came to another room and wrote this post. When after more than and hour I went back to the kitchen where the iPad is, lo and behold it was working! I could put my opening code in and it was normal! The bug is not working! But I am sure it will return

What advice please?

I've been able to check my data and I have used 19.4 GB, available 8.0, my OS is 9.3.5 . I see that this is not the latest but I have never received a notification of update available like I used to - but I wouldn't be surprised if an IPad 2 can't take the latest OS and it's better off without them

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For some weeks I have been noticing my ipad often quite 'sticky'. It would not always respond to stylus commands, and particularly Journal and other webpages would not scroll down, all would make me wait a minute or two before they decided to. Likewise sometimes with editing text, and a bit with almost everything you do on iPad.

Out of memory? I think it had about 8GB+ of free memory which I think allows the device to live, OK?
I removed a lot of tabs and now when I work have only about three there.
Quite soon after doing this, almost a coincidence, yesterday it seized up completely.
It was fixed on the grey starting screen, the one that asks you to swipe in order to put your security Number in. However I was unable to move anything by swiping. I was unable to even shut the device down, because you have to move a thing on the screen for that, and I couldn't make anything move.
Yesterday following something I found in a book I held down a button, I think the home button, for a longer time, and was able to close it down. On reopening it was fine, much less sticky. I was able to do relatively demanding things like use the camera and email a message with four or five of the photos. Great relief.
I was going to make a post here in order to try and understand what had been wrong, and so be able to take precautions as this was worrying. In order to check what I told you of memory and what was my OS this evening I opened it again. And it's stuck again in a slightly different way. It opens on a black blank page, I can swipe to another page which is black blank and has only the time on it.
I came to another room and wrote this post. When after more than and hour I went back to the kitchen where the iPad is, lo and behold it was working! I could put my opening code in and it was normal! The bug is not working! But I am sure it will return

What advice please?

I've been able to check my data and I have used 19.4 GB, available 8.0, my OS is 9.3.5 . I see that this is not the latest but I have never received a notification of update available like I used to - but I wouldn't be surprised if an IPad 2 can't take the latest OS and it's better off without them
I’m glad your iPad is working properly again. iOS 9.3.5 is the latest available version of iOS for the iPad 2.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Like any computer, the iPad needs to be shut down and restarted every now and then, or accumulated errors and memory leaks will affect it's performance. The screen going dark when you tap the power button is not a shut down. The iPad is just going to sleep. Nothing gets reset.

From your description you either shut the iPad off, and turned it on again: (Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears, then slide it off. After it finishes shuting down, hold down the power button for at least three seconds to turn it on again.)

Or you did a reset: (Hold down both the power and home button until the Apple Logo appears.)

Either of these will clear RAM and a few other pointers, caches, etc. The reset does a bit more than just shutting the iPad off; but is rarely necessary. Apple recomends using it only when the iPad can not be shut off normally. In practice many of us use it as often, or more often than shutting the iPad off.

Because the iPad is so good at going to sleep and opening, it is easy to forget to shut it down for long periods of time; until something like what you experienced happens.

OP
evennewerbie

evennewerbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry did not reply to this earlier because your cure seemed to work then it didn’t then it did,... seemed to cure the worst, then it would start to get bad again. And I was doing this pressing two buttons thing quite often.

What it seems to have meant was the imminent demise of the device. Another thing that presently happened was it showed a picture of an iPad plug and the iTunes icon and told me I had to connect to iTunes, which I had no idea how to do. This happened once or twice when I turned it on but then on restarting it was okay. However the other day it did that and couldn’t restart it, and took it into the Apple Store where they told me the device was kaput - that it was from 2011 and that is good going for an iPad life. So I bought a new one, I have kept the old one just in case of any possible sensitive data to erase or useful data, but I guess all useful data is on iCloud or else lost.

Judging by all of which there is not a long future for this iPad 2 forum either.. maybe this is an appropriate time to ask advice about disposal of the carcass.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry did not reply to this earlier because your cure seemed to work then it didn’t then it did,... seemed to cure the worst, then it would start to get bad again. And I was doing this pressing two buttons thing quite often.

What it seems to have meant was the imminent demise of the device. Another thing that presently happened was it showed a picture of an iPad plug and the iTunes icon and told me I had to connect to iTunes, which I had no idea how to do. This happened once or twice when I turned it on but then on restarting it was okay. However the other day it did that and couldn’t restart it, and took it into the Apple Store where they told me the device was kaput - that it was from 2011 and that is good going for an iPad life. So I bought a new one, I have kept the old one just in case of any possible sensitive data to erase or useful data, but I guess all useful data is on iCloud or else lost.

Judging by all of which there is not a long future for this iPad 2 forum either.. maybe this is an appropriate time to ask advice about disposal of the carcass.
By connecting to iTunes it means to connect to iTunes on your computer.
If you see the Connect to iTunes screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . . So I bought a new one, I have kept the old one just in case of any possible sensitive data to erase or useful data, but I guess all useful data is on iCloud or else lost.

Once you’re reasonably sure all your data from the old iPad is on the new one, Apple has a free recycle program.

Renew and Recycling

superfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I bought my iPad Pro I mounted my iPad 2 over my work bench and connected it to a small amplifier.. Now I can check the net and listen to music while I'm in the shop.

OP
evennewerbie

evennewerbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By connecting to iTunes it means to connect to iTunes on your computer.
If you see the Connect to iTunes screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once you’re reasonably sure all your data from the old iPad is on the new one, Apple has a free recycle program.

Renew and Recycling

Thank you. I will follow up and do those things next year – can’t do them now as apart from time I left the old iPad somewhere else didn’t bring it with me where I am now at the moment.

I am very pleased with my new iPad so don’t regret buying, but if I cleaned out the old I one would I have been/ will I be able to install new latest OS and do the lovely things I can do on this one? – dictation being the big one.

Data from the old iPad? Let me see, I seem to have my notes, photos, music, all my apps, my bookmarks, a handful of Word documents which were all I used the iPad for. Except for Notes which I had to have some help with, they all got there without me doing anything. I’m wondering what else I might have had! Anything besides those above that people commonly have?

Have never had a very confident understanding of the system, but considering the old one has been dead since before I got the new, it looks like these things are not really or not only on in the iPad but they are in the Cloud or on my other computer - I have more or less always been connected to Wi-Fi.Everything I have is copied back to a central computer or the Cloud every time it backs up, is that right?

There is one thing I know I have lost, and this has happened often before and is an annoyance, but it is worth a separate post.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like you're all set with your new iPad. If you get the old iPad working, you can always sell it on or use the recycling program if you can't get it working.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts