What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad turns on but largely unresponsive - help!

mycroft159

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was playing with the text to speech functions in Settintgs>Accessibility last night and somehow I have rendered the iPad largely (but not wholly) unresponsive. I don't mean that it does not respond to the usual gestures; I expected this when I enabled these functions and for a while it seemed to be working fine with the altered gestures (ie double click to select/deselect something).

What has happened is that the screen has become almost, but not entirely, unresponsive. Tapping/double tapping a folder does not open it. Tapping/double tapping an app, including the Settings app does noting so I can't get back into settings to undo whatever it is I've done. Touching and holdind an app similarly has no effect. A four finger upward and downward swipe will reveal the recently used apps but tapping/touching and holding/swiping with any number of fingers also has no effect.

Opening and closing the smart cover turns the iPad on and off but atteppting to turn it on and off using the power button gets me to the screen where it tells me to swipe the slider to power up/down but the screen does not recognise it when I attempt to swipe.

Notably there is now also a rectangle approximately 0.5 cm x 2.0 cm that has appeared near the corner on the long side of the iPad to the left of the Home button. This rectangle doesn't seem to do anything when tapped, swiped or held. The display continues to shift from landscape to portrait view when the iPad is rotated but the newly appeared rectangle does not rotate with the rest of the display but stays where it is with reference to the Home button.

Can anyone tell me what I have done and how I can undo it? This is immensely frustrating!

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was playing with the text to speech functions in Settintgs>Accessibility last night and somehow I have rendered the iPad largely (but not wholly) unresponsive. I don't mean that it does not respond to the usual gestures; I expected this when I enabled these functions and for a while it seemed to be working fine with the altered gestures (ie double click to select/deselect something).

What has happened is that the screen has become almost, but not entirely, unresponsive. Tapping/double tapping a folder does not open it. Tapping/double tapping an app, including the Settings app does noting so I can't get back into settings to undo whatever it is I've done. Touching and holdind an app similarly has no effect. A four finger upward and downward swipe will reveal the recently used apps but tapping/touching and holding/swiping with any number of fingers also has no effect.

Opening and closing the smart cover turns the iPad on and off but atteppting to turn it on and off using the power button gets me to the screen where it tells me to swipe the slider to power up/down but the screen does not recognise it when I attempt to swipe.

Notably there is now also a rectangle approximately 0.5 cm x 2.0 cm that has appeared near the corner on the long side of the iPad to the left of the Home button. This rectangle doesn't seem to do anything when tapped, swiped or held. The display continues to shift from landscape to portrait view when the iPad is rotated but the newly appeared rectangle does not rotate with the rest of the display but stays where it is with reference to the Home button.

Can anyone tell me what I have done and how I can undo it? This is immensely frustrating!

Welcome to the forum. In the first instance, reset/reboot your iPad. This is a recommended procedure whenever the iPad starts to act "strange". This tidies up memory and cache and "cleans up" your machine.

DO THIS : simultaneously hold down the On/Off and Home buttons when the screen blacks out. The On slide may or may not appear, just ignore that. Keep holding both down until the white Apple logo appears. Then release both buttons and wait then until the home screen appears. Slide to On.

How does that do it?
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mycroft159 said:

If the reset/reboot suggested by the previous poster doesn't work, I would suspect that you may have a defective screen here, especially with that strange rectangle that appeared and doesn't rotate with the screen. You may want to consider a genius appointment at an AppleStore to check it out.

Bacardi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
do you have a backup from before you started playing with the settings? you could try a restore, this is the first thing apple tell you to do.

Most reactions

Latest posts