What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 cannot sync, restore or backup

splinters69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Strange things happening today. I tried to update my iPad 2 to 4.3.2 and decided to transfer my purchased games to the PC. However, I kept getting timeouts and errors that files could not be synced.
Now when I plug in my iPad I get told that itunes cannot read the contents and that I have to restore it.
I am loathe to do that as I will lose games saves etc. (infitnity blade has had many, many hours put into it) but eventually I gave up and tried to restore.

BUT, it wont restore. I am getting the 3914 error every time. If I download the 4.3.2.ipsw and try a Shift+Restore it says it is not a correct file. I even tried to use a 4.3 ipsw that definitely worked and I get the same error.

Removed Apple related services and itunes then reinstalled. Reset iPad settings. Tried DFU mode, tried a different PC. None work.
Strange thing is though, the ipad is great; everything works fine on it. Equally, iTunes is working fine....I just can't get them to work together tonight. Never had any kind of trouble at all before....any ideas??
I would rather have a fully working iPad2 and restore if there are some glitches in the current system but my intention was simply to update...didn't want to restore.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Strange things happening today. I tried to update my iPad 2 to 4.3.2 and decided to transfer my purchased games to the PC. However, I kept getting timeouts and errors that files could not be synced.
Now when I plug in my iPad I get told that itunes cannot read the contents and that I have to restore it.
I am loathe to do that as I will lose games saves etc. (infitnity blade has had many, many hours put into it) but eventually I gave up and tried to restore.

BUT, it wont restore. I am getting the 3914 error every time. If I download the 4.3.2.ipsw and try a Shift+Restore it says it is not a correct file. I even tried to use a 4.3 ipsw that definitely worked and I get the same error.

Removed Apple related services and itunes then reinstalled. Reset iPad settings. Tried DFU mode, tried a different PC. None work.
Strange thing is though, the ipad is great; everything works fine on it. Equally, iTunes is working fine....I just can't get them to work together tonight. Never had any kind of trouble at all before....any ideas??
I would rather have a fully working iPad2 and restore if there are some glitches in the current system but my intention was simply to update...didn't want to restore.

There was an alert to backup thru iTunes before downloading and installing iOS4.3.2

Did you see it and do it?

OP
S

splinters69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No to seeing it but I was trying to backup when all the strange stuff started.
Think it is sorted now, I am using a 32 bit Win 7 machine and so far looks like it might work. Don't know why it didn't work on the same machine earlier.

Most reactions

Latest posts