What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 backlight gone

Garve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The backlight on my 18 month old iPad 2 has gone. There was no obvious reason - no accident or water damage. It's never been jailbroken and is now out of warranty.

I can just about see the icons on the screen, so am able to control it if the ambient light is low. I've turned the brightness up as high as it goes which helps a little. I've done a full restore without any improvement, so it would certainly seem to be a hardware issue rather than a software one.

Does it sound like I'm correct that it's the backlight which has gone?

Apple want £230 (UK pounds, approx $300) which isn't an option - I'd rather buy a new Android tablet. A local repairman has said he'd do it for between £100 and £130 (depending upon whether the screen cracks when he removes it). That's still a very large chunk of the cost of a new Nexus 7, so I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there any chance it could still be a software issue?

cheers

Garve

Most reactions

Latest posts