What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Replacing Some iPad 2s for Backlight Bleeding Issues

Nelson7709

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rambler358 said:
I didn't do any calling. Just brought mine to my local Apple store. Once they verified the issue, it was replaced right then. I spent about 30 minutes total in the store, including the 10 minute wait time for a Genius rep.

Good for you. In my case it took me a month of waiting for my iPad replacement. Hey, I'm from the Philippines.:)

liebedaisy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.shoppingkool.com
Why not waiting for ipad3 ? Anyway, every product has its flaws. However, we should defend our interests!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nakcol24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just started noticing this issue yesterday so I made an appointment for the Genius Bar for this Saturday. I'm hoping it works out. I sure don't want it to get worst.

Sent from my iPad 2 64G 3G using iPF

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nakcol24 said:
I just started noticing this issue yesterday so I made an appointment for the Genius Bar for this Saturday. I'm hoping it works out. I sure don't want it to get worst.

Sent from my iPad 2 64G 3G using iPF

It shouldn't get worse, but Apple has assumed a no questions asked policy on the bleeding issues, they will exchange it immediately. However, the new one could be worse and that's the difficult part. If you decide to get a new one, maybe have them open it at the store. Good Luck!

Nakcol24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got back from the Apple Store. I was in and out in less than 10 minutes! They replaced it fairly quickly....just swapped it out for a new one:)

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nakcol24 said:
I just got back from the Apple Store. I was in and out in less than 10 minutes! They replaced it fairly quickly....just swapped it out for a new one:)

Have you already looked at the new one, is it better? If not take a deep breath and bite the bullet! :) Let us know...

Nakcol24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
info said:
Have you already looked at the new one, is it better? If not take a deep breath and bite the bullet! :) Let us know...

LOL....I had the guy open it up on the spot and then take it back to a dark room to make sure that he wasn't giving me another faulty one lol. He said it was fine and I also didn't see any light leakage when I tested it by hovering my hands over the screen while waiting for a YouTube video to load. My old iPad's light leakage was really noticeable even with the store's bright light. He noticed it right off the back.

Sahota95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got this iPad for a present in Canada and I live in the UK so I can't get a replacement but I'm not really bothered about the screen bleeding.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nakcol24 said:
LOL....I had the guy open it up on the spot and then take it back to a dark room to make sure that he wasn't giving me another faulty one lol. He said it was fine and I also didn't see any light leakage when I tested it by hovering my hands over the screen while waiting for a YouTube video to load. My old iPad's light leakage was really noticeable even with the store's bright light. He noticed it right off the back.

It sounds like you got a good one and are ready to go! I don't think you will have anymore hardware issues, the rest is all in the configuration. Good Luck!

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I replaced mine, I asked if they could check the replacement before I left the store with it.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got this iPad for a present in Canada and I live in the UK so I can't get a replacement but I'm not really bothered about the screen bleeding.

I don't get what you are saying, your guarantee is with apple, whether it's canada, uk or umbawumbawallabaloo.

I agree with TheRambler - it's a worldwide warranty. Apple will honour this wherever you live. Take it into the Apple Store - but back up first in case - as they often do - they offer to exchange it on the spot...

Tim

heybutch1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my 6th iPad 2 and still have the issue! Have to say though, all the apple staff are friendly, understanding and have had no issue swapping out the iPads for me. Also the defect is only visible when in the dark and looking at a black screen. Unfortunately I use my ipad a lot for watching movies so often get a dark screen and see the leakage. Full story below.....

Apple Store Visit 1

IPad 1 - Purchased at launch, Mar 25. IPad had blotchy leakage all the way around screen, especially in 1 corner.

Apple Store Visit 2, mid May

IPad 2 - First swap out attempt failed. Genius checked it out the back and said it had the issue too.
IPad 3 - Genius also checked this one and said it had leakage but only down one side. It was the best of the three and if I wanted I could take that one and come back another day, as they were out of my model, and try again. FREE red smart cover for my trouble.

Apple Store Visit 3, 16th July

IPad 4 - Only had one of my models in stock as a replacement part. Genius checked it and confessed it had one small leak by the home button. As this area is used when playing video I hoped this would be the end of it. Unfortunately, as soon as I got it home, spotted a nice bit shiny dead pixel right in middle of the screen.

Apple Store Visit 4, 17th July

IPad 5 - Rather than a replacement part, they refunded my original transaction and gave me a brand new boxed model. Dead pixel!
IPad 6 - Another new boxed model, no dead pixels.... the assistant checked for leakage in the store and said it was clean...... get home...... leakage all the way up the left hand side, right where i don't want it for watching movies. One particular blob is really bad. FREE, kept the charger and cable from the new box and got a free dock for my trouble.

So now what? Each time i go to the apple store its 2 hrs of my life and a 60 mile round trip!

If the next one is fine I will have gone though £3,960 worth of faulty iPads and received over £100's worth of free accessories. All I want is an iPad free of defects BUT can apple deliver one?? I honestly think that apple must have a HUGE quality issue for me to 6/6 defects.

Will be calling Apple Support tomorrow and asking for some special support. Can anyone else beat 6??

Nakcol24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Awwww man that is totally messed up! I hope you're able to get a working one soon!

Sent from my iPad 64G 3G using iPF

stevekhlim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my 6th iPad 2 and still have the issue! Have to say though, all the apple staff are friendly, understanding and have had no issue swapping out the iPads for me. Also the defect is only visible when in the dark and looking at a black screen. Unfortunately I use my ipad a lot for watching movies so often get a dark screen and see the leakage. Full story below.....

Apple Store Visit 1

IPad 1 - Purchased at launch, Mar 25. IPad had blotchy leakage all the way around screen, especially in 1 corner.

Apple Store Visit 2, mid May

IPad 2 - First swap out attempt failed. Genius checked it out the back and said it had the issue too.
IPad 3 - Genius also checked this one and said it had leakage but only down one side. It was the best of the three and if I wanted I could take that one and come back another day, as they were out of my model, and try again. FREE red smart cover for my trouble.

Apple Store Visit 3, 16th July

IPad 4 - Only had one of my models in stock as a replacement part. Genius checked it and confessed it had one small leak by the home button. As this area is used when playing video I hoped this would be the end of it. Unfortunately, as soon as I got it home, spotted a nice bit shiny dead pixel right in middle of the screen.

Apple Store Visit 4, 17th July

IPad 5 - Rather than a replacement part, they refunded my original transaction and gave me a brand new boxed model. Dead pixel!
IPad 6 - Another new boxed model, no dead pixels.... the assistant checked for leakage in the store and said it was clean...... get home...... leakage all the way up the left hand side, right where i don't want it for watching movies. One particular blob is really bad. FREE, kept the charger and cable from the new box and got a free dock for my trouble.

So now what? Each time i go to the apple store its 2 hrs of my life and a 60 mile round trip!

If the next one is fine I will have gone though £3,960 worth of faulty iPads and received over £100's worth of free accessories. All I want is an iPad free of defects BUT can apple deliver one?? I honestly think that apple must have a HUGE quality issue for me to 6/6 defects.

Will be calling Apple Support tomorrow and asking for some special support. Can anyone else beat 6??

Maybe I can beat your records.. LOL.. my story as below:

1st iPad - bought at Apple Online Store somewhere May 2011 when launch in Singapore. 1 month later, bottom part near to home button tend to bounce up itself. Apple exchange with a service replacement iPad.

2nd iPad - a huge dead pixel on the bottom right. wasted on my screen protector SGD59.90. Exchange again service replacement iPad with a FREE wireless keyboard.

3rd iPad - a scratch on the silver enclosure when collect another service replacement. I had refuse to collect. Finally Apple's agree exchange a Brand New iPad with boxes for me.

4th iPad - DEAD PIXEL at middle left!! Exchange again another Brand New iPad with boxes..

5th iPad (current) - I spot a half DEAD PIXEL on the bottom of the screen.. thinking to accept it or exchange another Brand New..

Since I purchase thru Apple Online Store, I used to call Apple hotline for the assists, and I do need going to Apple premier service centre for diagnosis report. Currently, on my hand I do have 2 iPads and waiting DHL to collect the faulty unit (4th iPad) from me.

Any comment I should exchange my current iPad with a half dead pixel?

Most reactions

Latest posts