What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps w/ blurry Retina display

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am finding the Retina display to be both a blessing and a curse. When an app works well with the retina display, it is fantastic. But if it does not work well with the retina display, it is a real hassle.

Case in point are some remote desktop apps I frequently use. I have been a real fan of Jump Desktop. It is both an RDP and a VNC client. I particularly use it as an RDP client with a Windows host. The display is spectacular. I use it with a 1680 x 1050 display from my Windows 7 desktop. On my older iPad 1 it was hard to view the fonts without zooming in. Now I can read the fonts fully zoomed out full screen.

The same cannot be said for LogMeIn and Splashtop Desktop. In fact both apps displays are quite blurry. Perhaps I should dig out my iPad 1 and see if this is caused by the retina display. I suspect it is. This is sad because Splashtop Desktop streams video over Wi-Fi without any lag. Jump Desktop is best used for business purposes and not streaming video.

I wonder if anyone else is using these two apps with the new retina display? Are you having issues with a blurry display? I hope this is a simple case of both apps needing to be updated for the retina display.

My favorite new app is the Splashtop Metro UI testbed. It allows me to remotely use Windows 8, with the new Metro UI gestures. Otherwise I'd have to buy a Windows 7 touch tablet, and put Windows 8 on it. It is quite a fun app, but the blurry display kills the mojo.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have not found a single app that looks worse on a retina display.

Last edited:
L

Lunar

Neither have I. Some apps may not look much better than our iPad 1, but I've not come across one that looked worse.

OP
skallal

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, I did some research and found some solutions.

LogMeIn has a Color Quality setting. It was defaulted to compressed. I changed it to high and, viola, everything is crisp now.

Splashtop remote desktop was not so easy. I had to search their forums. Their support guy said to use native resolution. The settings show 1024x768 as recommended. It seems native resolution is best for the retina display. But they didn't document it. Real Retina support for Splashtop is still in the pipeline. It still isn't perfectly crisp, but quite acceptable.

I had hoped someone had already solved these issues. Maybe my experience will help someone else.

Most reactions

Latest posts