1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iPad 2 and iPhone Shipments Possibly Affected by Labour and Parts Shortages

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, May 12, 2011.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0
    [​IMG]

9to5 Mac reports today on a story in DigiTimes which says that the paper has heard from Apple’s supply chain that iPad 2 and iPhone 4 shipments in Q2 could be affected by shortages in labour and materials at Foxconn’s plants in Chengdu, China. Although, as 9to5 Mac points out, most iPad 2 parts come from Foxconn’s other plant in Shenzen, DigiTimes says that Apple will not be too pleased with shortages in the supply chain, as it has been pushing its suppliers hard so that it can ship 10-10.5 million units in the second quarter in order to keep up with its shipment goal of 35-40 million iPad 2s for 2011. 9to5 Mac notes that the iPad 2 still has its shipping time listed as 1-2 weeks in the online Apple Store, indicating that there may well be some problems with supply meeting demand.

Source: DigiTimes: Labor and materials shortage could affect iPad, iPhone shipments in Q2 | 9 to 5 Mac DigiTimes: Labor and materials shortage could affect iPad, iPhone shipments in Q2 | Apple Intelligence
  2. cypress

cypress iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    i hope this doesnt cause a big problem. i wanna order my ipad within the next week or two and not experience such a big delay lol
  3. Chiups

Chiups iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ordered mine of the 5th and its not getting here till the 25th. So there will definitely be a delay. Order it asap. :)
  4. ichee84

ichee84 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I lucked out today. Called the nearby Apple Store and asked if they had any 16gb wifi in stock. Girl told me we just received a limited quantity. I took an early lunch and was at the store 10 mins after the call. I got one of the last 2. I couldn't believe there would be that many people there on Monday morning.
    I guess it's hit or miss. GL
  5. iPad 2 is cool

iPad 2 is cool iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Try John Lewis if you live in the UK.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
  6. djflizo69

djflizo69 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hhhmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!
  7. Dee Ashley

Dee Ashley iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ordered mine online on the 5th, which really turned out to be the 7th. Initial date was delivery on the 25th of May which was just changed to the 2nd of June. I called the Apple store today to ask why the website for the on-line store still says 2-3 weeks when clearly that is not the case. It is really 4-5 weeks from ordering to delivery but unless you are extremely lucky the stores don't have any stock either.

I'm impatient. I want it now.
  8. Chiups

Chiups iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yea I know the feeling I ordered two, both on the 5th, both were forecasted to be delivered on the 25. One is on its way to my house, and the other is still saying "prepared for shipment". I don't get it.
  9. china_cat84

china_cat84 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I ordered mine from a local very large store (Heard of Nebraska Furniture Mart?) because the wait time was much less than ordering from Apple or any other retailer. They only have 64GB Verizon iPad2's in stock and they are receiving a new shipment on May 25th. I'm supposed to pick up my order on May 27th. Here's hoping that they actually get their order on time!
  10. Chiups

Chiups iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just had the same thing happen to me. Kind of unprofessional of you ask me.
  11. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    No, the shipping date is just an estimate, and subject to real-world supply and demand fluctuations. I'm not sure what else they can do.
  12. otacon

otacon iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Dang I guess I lucked out then. After researching for a while I finally decided on the iPad2. I went to a few brick and mortar stores in my area..yeah that was futile. None had any clue when they were getting in a shipment either. Luckily I live in Boston so there are 5 apple stores in my area and the first one I called just got a shipment in that day so I went down and scarfed one up. By the time I got there they only had 1 black ipad2 16gb left....just what I wanted..lol
  13. china_cat84

china_cat84 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Wow...shoulda bought a lottery ticket too! :p

Right now (at least in my area), you'd probably be more likely to win the lottery than find an iPad2 on shelves - especially a 16GB. I was informed by pretty much every electronics store in my area that the 16GB goes first.
  14. willtrvl

willtrvl iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I reserved mime at best buy on April 23rd and finally got a call it was in on May 20th. It seemed like forever but I'm starting to hear longer stories..
  15. doubleR

doubleR iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Exact same thing. Had one left. Black iPad2 16 gb. One I wanted and could afford. Snatched it up. =)
  16. hookedtoipad

hookedtoipad iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    cant help myself but think that these workers, even though in need of a job, are basically locked into those factory towns for months...
  17. bookcase

bookcase iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you got it china_cat I'll be very displeased. On April 14 I ordered a 32gb wifi only black model from them. I you I was told a wait time shorter than Apple- May 1st but call before because it might come in sooner. I called about 4 days before it was suppose to come in. I was informed that they did receive a shipment and my should be ready for pickup on April 30. However on April 29th the day before I was suppose to pick it up (and just days before their big shareholder meeting), I received an automated telephone message saying that my order was delayed until June 1st (today). When I called customer care they informed me that the customer service agent I talked to before had no clue what he was talking about and must have looked up a different product. The I got this whole thing about how Apple had obligations to their direct customers and would be fulfilling the orders for NFM soon. They continued to take orders for ipads during this time with an expected pick up for June 1. I called their customer service several times during this time period making sure that all of the info was correct, my last direct contact with customer care being on May 28th. At that time I was informed that everything looked great and there seemed to be no new delays. On May 30th I called the automated customer care system "Your order will be ready for pick up on July 2, 2011". Today I received that dreaded automated phone call again "This is an important message from Nebraska Furniture Mart... your order has been July 2".

This time to get their excuses in writing I emailed them and got this response:
    "[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your email. I am sorry that the delays in the Ipad have caused disappointment for your friend. And it is very much a problem for NFM to have so many disappointed customers due to the delays from Apple. We are unhappy and frustrated as well by these delays however we do not have control over the delays that Apple keeps having with their shipments to us. I am sorry that I am unable to provide further assistance to you. Unfortunately there is the possibility of further delay, we are certainly hoping this does not happen because we understand how disappointing that would be. However we can not guarantee the arrival date due to the shipping process being out of our control. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns."
    [/FONT]My email to Apple directly to see if they would respond to what Nebraska Furniture Mart says is their fault has gone unanswered so far.

All I want is to get an Ipad for a teacher to be able to use in her classroom. I guess that's too much to ask for these days.
  18. bookcase

bookcase iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I worded this wrong. I will be very displeased with Nebraska Furniture Mart either way either for taking care of a newer order before mine or by making others go through the fiasco I've already have.
  19. Dee Ashley

Dee Ashley iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think I would order one directly from Apple. If the one from Apple shows up first, I would cancel the other order and/or get a refund. If the first one comes in, return or cancel the one from Apple.
  20. china_cat84

china_cat84 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOL Don't worry, I didn't get my iPad from them! I got the same run around that you did and you can believe they got an earful. I just love how they tell you that it will DEFINITELY be coming in on the specified date - probably sooner - and then the day before you get an automated message saying it will be another MONTH! Not to mention that I live an hour away and cleared my schedule so that I could pick it up on June 1st.

Unfortunately, I couldn't wait until July. I needed my iPad for school and Summer semester starts June 6th. I called around and found an iPad that wasn't 64gb 3G (seems like that's the only model people have!) at Target in Council Bluffs. I ended up buying a 64gb white wifi-only and spending $200 more than I planned but at least I have it for class.

If you're willing to buy a 64gb instead of 32, you might call the Target in Bellevue. When I spoke to the CB Target on Tuesday, I had them check the local stores to see if they had anything other than a 64gb - he said that the Bellevue store had a couple black 64gb wifi-only models in stock. It's been a few days so I don't know if they're still there but it's worth a try. You might be able to find a 64gb one by calling around, but I doubt you'll find anything smaller.

I didn't cancel my order with NFM...I'm still debating on if I should just pick it up and then turn around and sell it again...could probably turn a profit on eBay.

Good luck! Usually NFM has decent customer service....I almost wonder if they did get some in, but since I was lower on the list, I had to wait until the next shipment...

Sent from my iPad using iPF