What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 GPS

bxf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm completely new to GPS, as well as to the iPad 2 (just bought one for my wife), so please bear with me if my questions are simplistic.

We are able to use the GPS function with Navfree. When we are at home, with an internet connection, we can set a destination, and away we go, with turn-by-turn voice instructions. Quite useful, and beats the heck out of what my wife has been calling my "manual GPS", otherwise known as handwritten notes transcribed from Google Maps:).

However, if we try to do a Navfree address search while in the car, we are told we need an internet connection. From the limited reading I've done, I am led to understand that one needs maps to perform such a search, but I also see statements saying that Navfree includes onboard maps stored in the iPad itself, so I don't understand the apparent contradiction. We get the same "connection required" message even if I put an address that is just around the corner from our house, i.e. a street that is already within the route that has already been processed, so the software should be aware of this particular street, without having to look it up, I'd think. I trust I'm making sense here.

And just in case it makes any difference, I live in Portugal.

Can anyone explain, please? Any useful information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand this either, unless the route search algorithm is hosted by the company's computers. I'm subscribing to the thread to see if other Members have a solution.

Tim

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is your iPad the 3G version? Usually GPS apps can function with search and directions when wifi connected But if you were to use the app beyond a wifi connection, you get the not connected message.

Last edited:
OP
B

bxf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is your iPad the 3G version? Usually GPS apps can function with search and directions when wifi connected But if you were to use the app beyond a wifi connection, you get the not connected message.

Yes, it's the 3G version (otherwise we wouldn't be able to navigate at all).

noddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If its 3G, then you shouldn't be getting that message, unless that is, you're not on any data plans?

OP
B

bxf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand this either, unless the route search algorithm is hosted by the company's computers. I'm subscribing to the thread to see if other Members have a solution.

Tim

I believe I have it figured out. It appears that it's the SEARCH function that uses Google, or similar, hence the need for a connection. If I place a point on the map itself and ask for "Route here", it works, even when there is no connection.

Thanks for your input.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to hear and thanks for letting us know. That's useful information for future reference.

Glad you got it fixed!!

Tim

OP
B

bxf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If its 3G, then you shouldn't be getting that message, unless that is, you're not on any data plans?

Yes, you are correct, and I should have mentioned it in my post. I am not on any data plan, but GPS still works.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct, and I should have mentioned it in my post. I am not on any data plan, but GPS still works.

That's correct. This is often confusing for consumers because the GPS and 3G functionality have nothing to do with one another except for the fact that Apple chose to place hardware support for both on the same chip and linked the functionality. The rationale, I suspect, was a request by cell carriers who wanted a feature that encouraged the purchase of the 3G iPad and the associated individual data plan.

You can purchase a separate GPS receiver (redundant if you already have a 3G iPad) that GPS apps can use (when the GPS is connected physically or via bluetooth to the iPad) without a data plan. This is a viable strategy for those with wifi iPads and avoids purchasing the more expensive 3G iPad (at least it's more expensive in the US) and provides superior GPS functionality. Runs less than $100 USD in the US. I'm not sure about its availability in Europe.

OP
B

bxf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's correct. This is often confusing for consumers because the GPS and 3G functionality have nothing to do with one another except for the fact that Apple chose to place hardware support for both on the same chip and linked the functionality. The rationale, I suspect, was a request by cell carriers who wanted a feature that encouraged the purchase of the 3G iPad and the associated individual data plan.

You can purchase a separate GPS receiver (redundant if you already have a 3G iPad) that GPS apps can use (when the GPS is connected physically or via bluetooth to the iPad) without a data plan. This is a viable strategy for those with wifi iPads and avoids purchasing the more expensive 3G iPad (at least it's more expensive in the US) and provides superior GPS functionality. Runs less than $100 USD in the US. I'm not sure about its availability in Europe.

Good explanation, and it should clarify things for those trying to understand what can and cannot be done. It took me a bit of reading to discover what you explain.

Most reactions